• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Segrave Aviation, yep the worst

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would hardly call it a ******************** job. Most professionals in this world that are worth a damn, work 22-24 days a month. Ask any business person, lawyer, doctor, dentist, etc.

Pilots, in general, are a bunch of lazy asses that think working 18 days a month is a hardship. Working 18 days a month (a little more than half the year) and making $85K is not a bad deal, a hardship, or a ******************** job.

Furthermore, changing careers in this economy is easier said than done. For most, it means going back to school, assuming more debt, and then prating and hoping a job in one's new industry is available.

I would hardly call it a ******************** job. Most professionals in this world that are worth a damn, work 22-24 days a month. Ask any business person, lawyer, doctor, dentist, etc.

Pilots, in general, are a bunch of lazy asses that think working 18 days a month is a hardship. Working 18 days a month (a little more than half the year) and making $85K is not a bad deal, a hardship, or a ******************** job.

Furthermore, changing careers in this economy is easier said than done. For most, it means going back to school, assuming more debt, and then prating and hoping a job in one's new industry is available.
216 days a year.
$85k=393.51 daily pay.
14 hr day=$28.10 per hr.
Think you could find a lawyer for $28.10 per hr?

Most lawyer's, doctor's and dentist's are not gone away from home during those 18-24 days per month either. And most of them are off on Holidays. It is really not an accurate comparison. On the other hand, now is NOT the time to quit even a bad flying job. Things will turn around, they usually do and that is when the bad employers will be hurting for pilots.

216 days a year.
$85k=393.51 daily pay.
14 hr day=$28.10 per hr.

Actually, I was told that Segrave pays their Hawker Capt's $360 per day so it is more like $25.71 per hour. But I agree, I can't even pay my electrician that much (he charges me $30 per hour), and only because he is out of work and is doing 'off the books' cash day work.

That's a little more than getting their money's worth. That's god damn slave labor. There are too many pilots and not enough jobs. My advice to fix the industry is to not take the sh!t jobs. If you can't find a decent job, too bad. You are not meant to be a professional pilot.

And just who do work for that's so great in this economy? Slave labor? I don't think so. There are guys there making 85-100k. Ask those unemployed with their benefits running out how bad a job that would be right now. Hell, most of them weren't making that when they had a job.

216 days a year.
$85k=393.51 daily pay.
14 hr day=$28.10 per hr.

First, I have yet to work a 14-hour day at Segrave. Second, I know very few pilots who are paid by a duty hour. Most are paid a salary (corp./charter), a day rate (contract pilots), or by the flight hour (airline pilots). So, breaking it down by the hour is a worthless analysis.

Second, I admit comparing pilots to lawyers and doctors was a bad move. Pilots are no where near as educated or trained as lawyers and doctors. Let's face it...we are just a bunch of trained monkeys. It is not that hard to fly a plane. Most pilots I've met are retards.

And as long as you think that about yourself and your co-workers, there will be ass-wipes able to run their operation with slave labor, and this "profession" will be just a job. Are you in management?

Second, I admit comparing pilots to lawyers and doctors was a bad move. Pilots are no where near as educated or trained as lawyers and doctors. Let's face it...we are just a bunch of trained monkeys. It is not that hard to fly a plane. Most pilots I've met are retards.

Nothing new in this level of vile, erroneous self-deprecation; the number of times I've heard as much, virtually verbatim, are legion.

Most of the time such nonsense comes from the mouths of management types and their thralls.

I don't know your situation, starcheckdriver, so I won't bother with negative postulations about your place in the industry. You should be informed, however, with no small amount of appropriate amercement, that professional aviators are only paid appropriately for their capacity for judgement--all other matters are ancillary. Given this very salient fact, our profession is not so far removed from the demands of medical and law (this being why so often they are given for comparison).

Lensed by this essential truth, it is not difficult to see the crimes and abuses endured by the body workforce and the accompanying disparity when compared to the levels of compensation and quality of life offered by the oft-cited fields of physician and attorney.

For what it's worth, I've met as many "retard" physicians and lawyers as I have pilots--totally lacking education in anything apart from their chosen vocation. Shockingly, the most offending fools of this calibre I've known have been MBA-carrying management "monkeys."

Ultimately, it is the degraded state of our culture and its attendant values with respect to the true purpose/nature of education that is to blame for the current proliferation of "retards" populating all "educated" disciplines, aviation non-withstanding.

No, I am not management. And it is not erroneous, self-depreciation that I write about. It is factual observation based on several years of flying with pilots who think they are underpaid and overworked. Yet, these same pilots cannot even tell me basic limitations of the planes they fly. They argue with me about things that are clearly spelled out in bold letters in the AFM limitations section or through warnings, cautions, and notes scattered throughout. They are the sane pilots who take whatever they hear as gospel and will fight to the death about what they think is right about operating the aircraft, yet they have never bothered to think they might be wrong. When corrected, they blow you off as if you are the retard. You try to present the info to back your argument and they will not even look at it.

I am not perfect, not do I think for one second that I am always right and know everything. I am far from that. However, it has become very evident to me that I take more time than most to read, study, and understand the aircraft I fly so I can make the best informed decisions each time I fly. I feel it is my duty and my obligation to do so. Many pilots I've flown with will not extend the same courtesy and responsibility to me and their passengers.

The ones that do a good job time and again, know their aircraft, and have excellent ADM skills rarely, if ever, complain about their work conditions. I find it ironic, yet it tells a valuable story.

Latest resources

Back