• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Segrave Aviation, yep the worst

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a lot of friends at Seagraves. One was hired with only 3 month left on his currency in the LR60. Fortunately they've sent him to recurrent. It sucks that Nelson is a pilot himself and truly is an evil man to abuse the system. We are talking about families lives here to save a buck. Maybe this is the only way they can stay in business. I hear they undercut ever charter op out there to get trips. Sadly the firing of crews to dodge training cost must make up the difference.

We've been told our plane will stay on Segrave's certificate, but that Segrave is being acquired by another company, which has been mentioned in the thread.

Should be soon, based on what we were told.

-mini

Are they still operating the Hawker 1000s? I think I heard one flying up toward TEB today.

What's the status of the operation? How many aircraft and types still flying? As I recall it sounded like the operation was in the process of shutting down or drastically reducing flying - I guess I misunderstood if they are still flying the Hawkers...

All of their 1000s were repossessed a while ago. They do have a few 800s. If you or anyone else is thinking about flying for them, consider what happenned to me first. I interviewed with Nelson (their DO) a while back and was offered a job flying their 800A. He wanted me to start right away but I insisted on giving my current employer a 2 weeks notice. Even though I was only employed as a contract pilot with my employer they were nice enough to pay for my recurrent so I felt that walking away without notice just wasn't right. So Nelson said ok in an email and gave me a start date 2 weeks later. I gave my current employer the notice and then a week later Nelson sends me an email saying that the 800A they thought they were getting wasn't coming and my job offer was "on hold". I called my current employer to ask that my notice be disregarded but they had already hired someone and he was already in school. A little while later I'm talking to Nelson and he says they actually ended up getting the 800A after all, but some of the 1000 guys who had been laid off offered to pay for their training in the 800A, and the company felt that the right thing to do would be to call them back first. Thinking about it now, actually what happened was at that time, my .297 had 3 months left and my .293 had 9 months left, so by bringing back someone (the former 1000 pilots) with a fresh type, the company gets a full 12 months out of them vs. my 9 months. I've heard from numerous people that they do this sort of thing. As the conversation progressed, he starts telling me this story about how he was looking to hire in the Lear but he couldn't find anyone who was current. So he calls up someone who is typed but not current and tells him he will hire him if he's willing to pay for a portion of training. The guy agrees. So then he calls up someone else who is also typed but not current and tells him that someone else offered to pay for x amount of the training and that if he would pay more he could have the job. Nelson told me he had these 2 guys in a bidding war. Not only does he see nothing wrong with this but he's telling me this like it's no big deal.
I knew this outfit was bad news but I took him up on the job offer because I needed a full time job, especially with my unemployment about to run out. I figured I'd tough it out until my .293 expired this summer and then hopefully by then I would have another job somewhere else. Fortunately the outfit where I'm a contract pilot is still using me as a backup pilot but the flying is even more sparse than before this happened.

As I recall it sounded like the operation was in the process of shutting down or drastically reducing flying

And it could not happen to a more deserving outfit....

Its a done deal, Segrave and Delta Elite.

Its a done deal, Segrave and Delta Elite.

Really? If it were a done deal, it would have been made public per SEC regulations. An acquistion may very well be in the works, but it is certainly not a done deal yet. Once confirmed, we should see something hit the Internet via a press release from Delta Airlines.

Latest resources

Back