• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Secrets Pilots won't tell you

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Most of the time, how you land is a good indicator of a pilot's skill. So if you want to say something nice to a pilot as you're getting off the plane, say 'Nice landing.' We do appreciate that," Joe D'Eon

Is that for real? I've seen great pilots have crap landings...

"Most of the time, how you land is a good indicator of a pilot's skill. So if you want to say something nice to a pilot as you're getting off the plane, say 'Nice landing.' We do appreciate that," Joe D'Eon

What a pax considers a good landing and what is a safe landing are different. I think floating 6" above a hard surface with flying speed for 3000' is dangerous.

I always say how about a little something for the effort....

Comparing our profession to truck drivers is not the comparison to make (regardless of my FI profile).

I hate hearing two things in the van:

"I don't think this hotel is so bad. At least we're sleeping in beds and no one is shooting at us".

Yeah, but we're not at war, we're at work. :uzi:

and,

"Geez, this is so much better than Mesa. I never got more than ten days off per month, and sometimes, we even slept in the airplanes".

Look, buddy, you went through that crap so that you could get to a major airline. Do us all a favor and stop justifying crummy schedules and crummy hotels because "it's better than Mesa". Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Relax, Ty. Gup's right....the vast majority of our hotels are very nice and safe. And I think you will like our schedules.

Just a few more of those "non-windfalls" ya'll can look forward to very soon! :D

What a pax considers a good landing and what is a safe landing are different. I think floating 6" above a hard surface with flying speed for 3000' is dangerous.

very true, i hate that the general public have that perception if you land soft they think youre a great pilot if you dont, they dont

But they dont know the rest, someone may have a soft landing just because they did something potencially dangeours like floating the plane all over the runway, or maybe they almost crashed with amountain during the appa etc, but if the land soft, theyre great

i think landing soft is great if you do it on a safe normal way, not comprimising safety just to achieve one

“I always tell my kids to travel in sturdy shoes. If you have to evacuate and your flip-flops fall off, there you are standing on the hot tarmac or in the weeds in your bare feet.” -Joe D’Eon

"I just survived evacuating from a plane that just broke in to three pieces. Man, am I glad my feet are dry and cozy!"

I thought it was so you go walk through piles of burning and twisted metal without cutting your feet to shreds.

very true, i hate that the general public have that perception if you land soft they think youre a great pilot if you dont, they dont

But they dont know the rest, someone may have a soft landing just because they did something potencially dangeours like floating the plane all over the runway, or maybe they almost crashed with amountain during the appa etc, but if the land soft, theyre great

i think landing soft is great if you do it on a safe normal way, not comprimising safety just to achieve one

Good landings are relative. BTW, even FA's don't get this................

The statement in the article about regionals being held to different safety standards was misleading at best. The implication is that the regulations are different for regionals, like they get some type of free pass from the government or something...

The statement in the article about regionals being held to different safety standards was misleading at best. The implication is that the regulations are different for regionals, like they get some type of free pass from the government or something...

The reqs seem to be only as strong as the will of the POI. The regional POIs that I've dealt with were not as sharp as the majors. In my experience, again.

Latest resources

Back