Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B52GUNNER

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/21/pilot.secrets/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- You hear their voices over the airplane speakers and you sometimes catch a glimpse of them as they inspect a plane before departure, but for the most part airline pilots remain a mystery.
Regal in their uniforms, locked in the cockpit, you know your life is in their hands -- but what are their lives really like these days?
Not so glamorous and often grueling, it turns out. Reader's Digest asked 17 pilots from major airlines and regional carriers to divulge some of the realities of their jobs, and many of the comments are chilling.
"The truth is, we're exhausted. Our work rules allow us to be on duty 16 hours without a break. That's many more hours than a truck driver. And unlike a truck driver, who can pull over at the next rest stop, we can't pull over at the next cloud," a captain at a major airline told the magazine.
Another pilot said bad accommodations also make it hard to get enough sleep.
"When you get on that airplane at 7 a.m., you want your pilot to be rested and ready. But the hotels they put us in now are so bad that there are many nights when I toss and turn. They're in bad neighborhoods, they're loud, they've got bedbugs, and there have been stabbings in the parking lot," said Jack Stephan, a US Airways captain.

WN pilots are not on duty 16 hours a day and most of our hotels and very nice.

Back to the drama and sensationalism.

Gup

"The truth is, we're exhausted. Our work rules allow us to be on duty 16 hours without a break. That's many more hours than a truck driver. And unlike a truck driver, who can pull over at the next rest stop, we can't pull over at the next cloud," a captain at a major airline told the magazine.
Another pilot said bad accommodations also make it hard to get enough sleep.

Good God...more whining from a cry-baby Du-Jour.

Truckers sleep in a bunk in the back of their trucks at noisy truck stops. Want the company to put a bunk in the tail and you can sleep there?...Get over it...

WN pilots are not on duty 16 hours a day and most of our hotels and very nice.

Back to the drama and sensationalism.

Gup

Yeah right, you guys are like the Kings of the La Quisha chain. Just about every crap hole I stayed at while J4J at Republic had a SWA contract. Example: the La Quisha in MSY. You know the one with the gangbangers out back by the McD's and giant blood stain on the carpet outside the 3rd floor elevator door.

Good God...more whining from a cry-baby Du-Jour.

Truckers sleep in a bunk in the back of their trucks at noisy truck stops. Want the company to put a bunk in the tail and you can sleep there?...Get over it...

Comparing our profession to truck drivers is not the comparison to make (regardless of my FI profile).

I hate hearing two things in the van:

"I don't think this hotel is so bad. At least we're sleeping in beds and no one is shooting at us".

Yeah, but we're not at war, we're at work. :uzi:

and,

"Geez, this is so much better than Mesa. I never got more than ten days off per month, and sometimes, we even slept in the airplanes".

Look, buddy, you went through that crap so that you could get to a major airline. Do us all a favor and stop justifying crummy schedules and crummy hotels because "it's better than Mesa". Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Comparing our profession to truck drivers is not the comparison to make (regardless of my FI profile).

Part of my point exactly...keep mr. "major airline pilot" off of CNN. The direct correlation was made by his statement to that of us and a truck driver.

The flying public sees right thru that crap and has the exact opposite effect as it was intended...

Another one.

Pilots don't really have to cut in front of the infirm, elderly, handipcapped, pregnant moms with young children, and first class business passengers in order to go through bag-check, x-ray screening security.

The TSA actually allows several alternate security screening methods for crewmembers, but the airlines have so little respect for their customers that they would rather just have them suffer further indignities beyond the usual flying experience than implement these alternatives.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back