Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Red Neck Opinion

Simon,
I agree with you... but keep in mind that white boys will always fill the vast majority of job openings. The bottom line is that sometimes people get jobs because they are black, yellow, pink or because they are female. They may get the phone call to interview a lot sooner because of their minority status - but they still have to pass the interview and the sim ride.
I have many high time white boy friends waiting for the call. They may have 10,000 hours but their phone doesn't ring. They are one of many... A person of color or a female just might get the job with 2,000 hours. They are one of few... It is frustrating, but in the long run I know that the 10,000 hour guy will get his chance. He just has to wait a bit longer and keep the faith.
Life is not always fair and sometimes the best person for the job doesn't get the job.

Actually AK 737 I think that the most qualified does get the job. However qualifications don't always have to do with 10,000 hours as you well know. And if your friends are not out on the hunt but waiting for a referral or the word of a friend to get them hired, they will be waiting a long time. It is just about face time and connections and that is it. And like it or not that is fair.

Well I dont want to piss off IFLY4FOOD because this doesnt deal with specific interviews, but I know this is the way it is and probally will be the way it will be. So I do deal with it, but I dont like it and probally never will.

Zonker, I am not flaming you for taking that route, I give you an A for creativity. Nice Job.

English, in the year 2000 I know Continental Airlines and Delta Airlines gave out type ratings to females, and females only. I dont know where you can find these scholarship names, but you can probally call their human resource office to get your name in the kitty.

And I am still looking for my United Airlines Mentor.

Simon says,

I'm not familiar with the Delta scholarship, but the Continental scholarship was offered through WIA, and men and women were both eligible to apply for it.

After doing some research, I see Delta awarded a maintenance, engineering and management scholarship. No type rating or flight training scholarships as far as I can tell from the website. Men and women are both eligible for these scholarships.

Simon, you mentioned on these boards previously your intent to leave the regionals and move up to the majors. Perhaps sounding a little less like an angry white man who is owed something will help improve your chances.

Last edited:
SWA had two free type ratings offered a few years ago. One to a female and one to a racial minority.

They were advertised in Air Inc (or FAPA at that time) and they raised quite a fuss at that time.

That is the way the industry works in today's world. Either get over it or don't, but being angry shows up at some point in an interview.

Regards

ps. I think it stinks too. I don't care what demographic the other pilot is from as long as they're qualified to be there!

I might have to stand corrected because I cannot find any proof of those scholarships. Anyways I will retract my comments for now until I find the one that I am looking for.

I know of it because an FO received one only open to females, but I cannot find proof for now.

By the way I have accepted the fact of being in the majority.

Latest resources

Back