• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Screw TSA This Sucks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This all sounds well and good, the CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, but it's going to bite us: Instead of changing the rule, or somehow coming up with a compromise, we as crewmembers will simply be required to show up even earlier. Then, when we are late because of the TSA, we will be reminded that we have been required to show up earlier, on our own UNPAID time.

Think about it: how is showing up late going to sway the thinking of management? What's the easiest, cheapest solution? Make the flight crew culpable for the time they spend in line waiting on the TSA morons.

It will simply be a matter of time until we get a new bulletin dictating how far in advance we must show up to deadhead.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! You sir, have got the correct insight in this issue. No company will care about how long anyone stands in a TSA line, they'll just have crews show an extra hour early. And, you're right, it will be unpaid.

One more reason to find a new career.

Easy answer to that one. When your trip starts with a deadhead, go to the crew lounge and sign in BEFORE you go to the checkpoint. DO NOT work off the clock!!!

Our contract states what the duty in timeframe is. They can't change it without negotiating. And when they do, it will add to our duty day, and add to our pay. And it will screw with their operation.

Easy answer to that one. When your trip starts with a deadhead, go to the crew lounge and sign in BEFORE you go to the checkpoint. DO NOT work off the clock!!!

Our contract states what the duty in timeframe is. They can't change it without negotiating. And when they do, it will add to our duty day, and add to our pay. And it will screw with their operation.

I understand the sentiment, but I am a little skeptical. We've been negotiating with these clowns for what, almost 5 years now?

I understand the sentiment, but I am a little skeptical. We've been negotiating with these clowns for what, almost 5 years now?

What's your point? Until they settle a deal, status quo prevails. And I don't think this issue is even being addressed in negotiations.

That means we duty in an hour prior to our first flight, and 15 minutes prior to a deadhead. Then go to the front and waste the company's time playing with the TSA nazis.

questions:

i commute thru PHL to DCA. I go thru security at PHL to DH to DCA. Do I know need a ticket prior to going thru security or can i just go to the gate (after going thru security) like I always do?

Aslo: Commuting home, say I start my day in DFW, go thru security, fly DFW to PHL then FLY PHL to DCA. My day is now done and go to commute home. I can't just walk over to the gate and get on a PHL flight? I'll have to have some kind of stamped pass? My company memo said nothing about this.

What's your point? Until they settle a deal, status quo prevails. And I don't think this issue is even being addressed in negotiations.

That means we duty in an hour prior to our first flight, and 15 minutes prior to a deadhead. Then go to the front and waste the company's time playing with the TSA nazis.

My point is that I've very little faith in the negotiating process as it now stands. I feel that we as a pilot group are somewhat hamstrung by the RLA and that if there were a way for the company to do something negative towards the pilot group in the face of ongoing negotiations, this could be one avenue. (More to the point, though, I'm still a little new to this business to understand how the process works. I don't exactly know what we as a pilot group could do to remedy the potential situation of management requiring us to be even earlier to duty in, on our own unpaid time.)

My point is that I've very little faith in the negotiating process as it now stands. I feel that we as a pilot group are somewhat hamstrung by the RLA and that if there were a way for the company to do something negative towards the pilot group in the face of ongoing negotiations, this could be one avenue. (More to the point, though, I'm still a little new to this business to understand how the process works. I don't exactly know what we as a pilot group could do to remedy the potential situation of management requiring us to be even earlier to duty in, on our own unpaid time.)

Our negotiations woes are for another thread, but I think you're missing the point. This whole issue has nothing to do with negotiations because we ALREADY OWN the duty in times.

Our remedy is to FOLLOW THE CONTRACT and duty in as normal, THEN proceed to the checkpoint and take as long as you need, when your trip starts with a deadhead. If you miss your deadhead flight, too bad for ASA.

Maybe if we all do this, our airlines will contact their ATA friends and get this stupid rule fixed.

Latest resources

Back