Screw this industry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

datafox

I've had an extremely lucky life in the aviation business. I started at a regional with very low time in '99 and I've been at a struggling major airline now for about one year. Let's put it this way, we will either be doing well in a couple years growing like a weed or be liquidated. At this point, it doesn't look like there will be any in between.

As I age my family is becoming more and more important to me. What I wouldn't give just to be home everynight and have a regular schedule. Anyway, have any of you had a job at a major and voluntarily left for a career in something totally different?

I am able to move on to another career where I will be at home everynight, and eventually have the capacity to make what I would have made as a major airline captain, but just like the airline industry I would have to start at the bottom of the ladder at low wages and work my way up.

Flying airplanes was/is great, but family seems to be more important at this point. Am I stupid to be wanting to get a desk job and start all over again?

Datafox

No you aren't stupid. This can be a hard life and it really isn't for everyone. Make the decision that is best for you and your family.

Stupid?!? Why don't you spill the beans and tell the rest of us what you're going to be doing so we can follow.

Lead the way

Im with the Rock. If you know a way out of this mess, for god's sake, please let the rest of us know!!!

Johnny

Do as you wish but it would be much more enjoyable in my opinion to fly for fun versus having to do it for a living. If you have the chance I would jump on it.

just my $.02

3 5 0

datafox,

Any way you could get into the training department or some flt ops desk job and be home more that way ?

Ive done those other jobs, and if you think its any different over there you are kidding youself. Mon-Fri 9-5 is just to survive, if you want to make "the kind of money you would make as a major airline captain" you are going to be away from your family just as much. Hell probably more. If you have experience in the outside world you know what Im talking about.

Do what makes you happy, but dont expect to make the same money and be home.

Please send me a pm if you don't want to broadcast as to what you are about to get into (so that I can join you). I have been scratching my head, have a few ideas but they all take time to develope. You are not crazy at all, just be sure you like what you do. I'm to the point I just may not like what I do anymore, of course I have been at it for quite a bit longer than you. How are you going to like flying 3 years from now, 7 years, 12, etc. The longer you stay at it the tougher it gets to leave. Good luck on your decision.

There are way too many firsts that children have (day of school, swim lesson, haircut, steps, etc...). After you've missed a few too many, you start to wonder how this career can be worth the time away. My feeling is that you'll never get those days back. I commend you for starting to look outside of this career. I wish there was an easy answer. I've started my own busines (with a fellow furloughee) so that I can lose this career and spend more nights in my own bed. Will I miss flying if I'm able to tell my airline to go f themselves? Hell yeah, but there is no price tag you can put on family time. Great job, lousy career.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back