• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scott Crossfield NTSB report out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No disrespect to the man, but nobody here on this planet can portend to know what his intentions were.

This is exactly true

Way2Broke said:
One thing that has always scared me is getting caught by unforecasted pop-up storms with no real out. It could happen to anyone. Flying is inherintly risky. Especially when t-storms are around.

The vertical development (updrafts) of CBs can exceed 4000'/min.

It's entirely possible that several CBs just "bubbled" up around Scott in a matter of minutes and he found himself trapped.

He wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

mar said:
The vertical development (updrafts) of CBs can exceed 4000'/min.

It's entirely possible that several CBs just "bubbled" up around Scott in a matter of minutes and he found himself trapped.

He wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

You got that right.

ak

That is exactly right, especially here in the south central and southern states. I can tell you from experience what starts out as a line of heavy rain showers can become a very serious weather situation in a matter of just a few minutes, given the right conditions. Controllers do their best, but the radar doesnt always see things exactly the way they are. I've seen some pretty severe storms come through here in OK with 70 and 80 mph straight line winds that really didnt look like that much of a big deal on the scope. At any rate, we'll never know exactly what happened up there, just the NTSB's best educated guess. Scott Crossfield did alot fot aviation as it is today, and he will be sadly missed, and greatly remembered for his deeds. RIP Scotty, you're flying in a better place now.

I'll take an icy runway with a crosswind over TRW's (especially in the terminal area) anytime.

AngelKing said:
I am sure he has at some point said the same thing you just did about other peoples accidents. Do you think you are so skilled that you would never make the same decisions at some point in your aviation career? Get over yourself.

ak

I'm pretty sure that I won't be flying into a level 6 thunderstorm anytime soon.

Regardless of Crossfields' experience and accomplishments, one has to admit there's a bit of the "WTF?!" factor here. It just goes to show that none of us are infallible. Godspeed to him.

"Piloted by a commercial pilot." This really gets me. Did Crossfield make his living flying commercially or was he commercially certificated? Big difference.

inline said:
"Piloted by a commercial pilot." This really gets me. Did Crossfield make his living flying commercially or was he commercially certificated? Big difference.

From the FAA database:

Name : CROSSFIELD, ALBERT SCOTT
Airman's Address : 12100 THOROUGHBRED RD
HERNDON, VA, 22071-2009
FAA Region : Eastern
Date of Medical : Dec, 2004
Class of Medical : 3
Expiration of Class 3 : Dec, 2006
Airman Certificates : Commercial Pilot
Airplane Single and Multi Engine Land
Instrument Airplane

Latest resources