• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scope clause changes could be biggest impact on airlines since deregulation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right now, who really cares whose fault the past scope relaxations have been, those arguments could go on ad nauseum and I'm sure they will.

The really important thing now is that there are NO MORE scope give aways, especially now that everyone can see what results from it.

As a regional pilot who doesn't want to be a regional pilot for the rest of his carrier (gee, I wonder where I work...), I'm begging all mainline pilots not to give another inch, no matter what your managements offer in return. Scope is the golden goose and if you let management cook it so you can have one good meal, most of us will be eating sh!t sandwiches in the not too distant future.

ALPA Mainline, are you listening???

Here's a guy who "gets it"....

Rest assured, I think ALL demographics of the seniority list at my airline sees what loose scope is doing to their careers.

Hopefully, all pilot groups sees the writing on the wall.

In the famous words of Captain Picard:"The line must be drawn here!"

As a SWA pilot, if it has Southwest on the tail I want our own flying it regardless if it is a Turboprop or RJ Jet. We can work out the pay later.

Rich

NO! We'll work out the pay and then send our most senior pilots to fly the turboprops:) Pay Matters!!!!!

get it back! get it all back. hell get even the Peoria to Ohare flight back.

Even those at the regionals will thank you b/c then they will actually have mainline jobs to go to.

Course...you never should have given it away in the first place. Its the holier-than-thou senior ********************s in the 90s that didn't want to fly small jets who allowed it to be given away, completely ass-@#$!-ing this industry. And it's those same tools that are now flying past 60 just b/c they're too bored a home.

"Greatest Generation my a$$"

More like greediest generation.

Here's a guy who "gets it"....

Rest assured, I think ALL demographics of the seniority list at my airline sees what loose scope is doing to their careers.

That's the key problem. The top 20-30 percent will see relaxing scope as a way to protect them and their pensions. That won't change because of some new found 'eithic' at the network carriers.

Here is a problem I have seen in the past at my own airline. Why do pilots insist on electing senior pilots to Chairmanships, MEC's, LEC's and Negotiating committees? They NEVER have the majority's interest in mind.

That is a fundamental flaw in the way we run our unions. Vote in new fresh (not top 20%) leaders.

And never give away any scope again. Period.

This is freaking brilliant. All the RJ pilots on this thread, including myself, are against any more scope relief. Do you hear that mainline pilots? I do not want to fly your airplane! This is the way that I have always felt. Yet, we get blamed as if we are here begging the mainline to let us fly some more planes if we promise to do it real cheap.

If your airline gets 100 seaters, I hope you fly them, or else it is really going to screw things up.

Ok, quick metaphor:

Years back, a guy in a moment of selfish-minded, instant gratification, sleeps with a girl he thinks is sort of second class trash. He doesn't really think she is "hot" enough to be with long term, but she is a sweet hard working girl and she is available now. Turns out she gets pregnant. Fast forward a few decades, and now her son is a man. He has grown just as smart and strong as his father. But, the father can't stand the sight of his bastard son, and in a twisted way blames the son for ruining his life.

(I am thinking about turning this in to a novel and calling it "The Scarlet Widget")

ok, quick metaphor:

Years back, a guy in a moment of selfish-minded, instant gratification, sleeps with a girl he thinks is sort of second class trash. He doesn't really think she is "hot" enough to be with long term, but she is a sweet hard working girl and she is available now. Turns out she gets pregnant. Fast forward a few decades, and now her son is a man. He has grown just as smart and strong as his father. But, the father can't stand the sight of his bastard son, and in a twisted way blames the son for ruining his life.

(i am thinking about turning this in to a novel and calling it "the scarlet widget")

wtf??

that sounds like you got some deep seated "michael jackson touched my pepe when i was 8" sh!t. You need to see Dr. Phil.

Last edited:
It was a joke. Legacy's started this rj mess and now they want to blame us. The scarlet widget is in reference to the Delta logo...never mind, you apparently didn't get it. I would be willing to say this joke fell flat but I won't judge it by your lone response.

I guess I should have made a metaphor out of "Michael Jackson" and "pee pee" so you understand.

Latest resources

Back