Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
8AF said:
I respectfully disagree. Have friends went to ALLATPS have nothing good to say about them. I know most people want to do it fast but the quality of training must also be taken into consideration.
I'll second that.

I went there for my MEI. They do their job, I got my MEI in a week. I could have done it shorter but the weather got in the way.

HOWEVER, I knew walking out of there that all I had was a ticket and barely enough knowledge to teach in a multiengine aircraft. I'm still trying to get my stuff together to be an effective teacher.

I would go there for an add-on rating, nothing else. It won't make you a better pilot.

I got my CFI-A and CFI-I at American Flyers in Pompano Beach, FL (that took a month, 9-5, basically every day). I was taught by an 18 year flight instructor and walked out of there feeling confident as hell in my teaching.

Remember, it's all about the QUALITY not the TIME, and this tends to hold true in all parts of aviation!

spudskier said:
Not for much longer... BGSU tried once already to close the airport and aviation program and from what I hear the new management (as of three years(ish) ago is still trying. Ohio University (in Athens Ohio) also has a good program. Also no Flight Team at BGSU.

This is not true at all...except that they did try to close the program almost 10 years ago. Since then the new aviation program manager has developed interest in the aviation department throughout the College of Technology. They have gotten a bunch of brand new planes in the last five years...4 172's, an Arrow, and a Seminole. The dean is very supportive of the program.

The airport is managed by the county and funded by the FAA. The university does not have the authority nor the desire to close the airport.

The program is small compared to some but has a very close knit attitude. They do not want it to grow too large.

-drinkduff

I do agree that UND or ERAU or Purdue, etc. make better pilots. It is up to the student to decide how much effort and sometimes it is more natural that others. I would not change my degree or training from UND. I feel I recieved great training both in the air and on the ground. Lots of great professors, instructors, and equipment including altitude chamber. Learn to fly in all four seasons. Plus we have a great hockey team compared to Western Michigan! Pick whatever is best for you! Look at location, price, quality, reputation, etc. Wherever you choose have fun and fly safe!

I go to ERAU.

I'm a Safety Science major, and I've done all my flying Part 61, off campus.

If you decide to go to ERAU...major in something other than Aeronatuical Science. Lots of engineering, Safety, Meteorology, Human Factors, ATC, etc....

I never did one flight on campus...Took one of my roomates 3 semesters to get his private. A few others quit altogether, or started to fly off campus. To me, its way too expensive, and way too structured. They "protect" you way too much. You'll never have any fun...there is also way too much simulator garbage. You'll go in a C172 sim and do stalls and stuff...in a stationary simulator....its ridiculous.

Its a good school academically, but just know what you are doing...don't drink the koolaid and don't let administration push you around.

With that said...

UND or WMU give you a better shot at getting laid and experiencing "real college". Riddle is just too small (And theres about 10 guys per 1 girl)...but the weather is nice. Cept for hurricanes...and the flying destinations in the southeast, like Tampa, Miami, Bahamas, Keys, etc I'm sure beat middle of nowhere Montana. :D

I went to Ohio University, and I am very glad I did. However, just as I was leaving they bought 7 piper warrior III with full glass avidyne cockpits.

Talk to some of the guys getting ready to graduate. See how many hours they have. I graduated OU with 700, the closer to 1200 the better. Find out if you get to flight instruct as soon as you get your CFI.

MAKE SURE YOU START FLYING your first or second quarter/semster.
Make sure you get your CFI/CFII, if not MEI also.
High Preformace endorsement is always a plus.

Middle Tennessee State University also has a good aerospace program. It is one of the least expensive programs a four year college has to offer. I took this information off of a course guide.

"The combined minimum costs of the pvt flight lab, x-country, inst/comm is $25,325. Realistically, the average student will pay closer to $26,000. How does this figure of $27,000 measure up against other University programs?

A survey was conducted in the Fall of 2005 among other Colleges and Universities that offer flight training and degrees in piloting. The Average Four-Year Flight Training cost of the survey was $37,138! MTSU is around $10,000 less than average."

The Seminoles for your multi rating are reasonable also. $180 solo, $200 dual.
I still recommend getting some other degree than aviation like others said.

Last edited:
When it comes down to it... where do you want to live? There are programs all over the states, and most are good. What do you want to major in? What are your priorities? Women?

I recommend something in the North. UND, WMU, OSU, BGSU, OU, S. Ill., etc... better variety of weather, makes for more actual IFR which is always good experience. Talk to people, take tours, etc...

I vote for UND. Good aviation program, hockey, and shockingly, a lot of cute girls at UND from Minnesota.

Air 1 said:
"The combined minimum costs of the pvt flight lab, x-country, inst/comm is $25,325. Realistically, the average student will pay closer to $26,000. How does this figure of $27,000 measure up against other University programs?

A survey was conducted in the Fall of 2005 among other Colleges and Universities that offer flight training and degrees in piloting. The Average Four-Year Flight Training cost of the survey was $37,138! MTSU is around $10,000 less than average."​

These numbers seem a little misleading. The survey doesn't say what ratings/certificates the responders obtained. Is that $37k for just ppl/inst./comm. ?! That seems excessively high. Most likely they surveyed graduates and asked how much you spent on flight training. If you add CFI, CFI-I, ME, and MEI, you will far exceed your $27k in the quote. (not sure why they jumped from $26k to $27k?)

Air 1 said:
The Seminoles for your multi rating are reasonable also. $180 solo, $200 dual.

I still recommend getting some other degree than aviation like others said.

They let you rent the seminoles solo? Not sure why the insurance co. would allow that. Seems like a high liability. Also only 20 for an instructor? Those guys are not getting paid enough since I'm sure they are probably only seeing half of it. Consider that if you are thinking about instructing there eventually.

-drinkduff

I went to Oklahoma State University, decent size program and very fairly priced. University of Oklahoma is good too, a little more expensive due to the fact that they fly brand new piper warriors.

Latest resources

Back