Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stmltt

I am currently looking to attend a college with an aviation program. I am trying to decide between the following three: ERAU, UND, and Western Michigan University. Any insight about the following schools would be appreciated. Also, how does WMU compare to the other two? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Get a degree in any field other than flight, don't put all eggs in one basket. Maintenance can be a good compliment.
I don't know about other schools, but you can probably save money by doing part 61 at a local school than to get your training at ERAU.
I don't think those programs makes better pilots. I am not a believer in ab initio training. The environment is too protective. At one school, you can't even go solo in the pattern with less than 3000' ceiling.

Last edited:
Hey, I went to riddle and it's a great school but, honestly if i could do it again i would go to a less expensive school. ERAU is just becoming way to overpriced. And i agree to get a degree in something other than aeronautical science so u have something to fall back on...I have a couple of friends that went to local community colleges that are flying for American Eagle and Express jet. Hope it helps....

My Fiancé’ just graduated from WMU with a degree in finance and has nothing but positive things to say about the business college. I don’t know much about Western’s aviation program other than they have a great reputation and would be far less expensive than Riddle. Also, I think WMU Aviation College is receiving a new fleet of airplanes.

ALLATPS - you can get done in 90 days with all your tickets and if you're flexible they will get you a job as a CFI at their school (may not be where you want, but you'll build time fast...)

Get a 4 year degree in something other than aviation.

-LA

LAFrequentflyer said:
ALLATPS - you can get done in 90 days with all your tickets and if you're flexible they will get you a job as a CFI at their school (may not be where you want, but you'll build time fast...)

Get a 4 year degree in something other than aviation.

-LA

I respectfully disagree. Have friends went to ALLATPS have nothing good to say about them. I know most people want to do it fast but the quality of training must also be taken into consideration. My suggestion is to ask your local DE to recommend a good instructor.

Get your degree in something else. That would be your best bet. But as far as schools go Auburn is the best. There is no place better than fall semester in Auburn, AL.

Western has a fantastic program as well as others for the"backup"... Of those three I'd recommend WMU, but because it'd feel wrong if I didn't say it... check Ohio State's program (It's very good!) and offers a lot of other degrees for the backup including Aviation business (airline or airport management) and also a human factors concentration. No A&P program though.

An FO I was flying with recently graduated from Bowling Green University, another great school with an aviation program.

Not for much longer... BGSU tried once already to close the airport and aviation program and from what I hear the new management (as of three years(ish) ago is still trying. Ohio University (in Athens Ohio) also has a good program. Also no Flight Team at BGSU.

Latest resources

Back