Scenic vs. ACC vs. Great Lakes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

QuasarZ

Just curious on what everyone thinks. Just looking to see what would be the better way to go. My goal is to eventually be the 3rd gen. at NW. (not gonna get into a debate on why them, bash me if you want) Once I am done with school I will have 500/250 or 600/350, depending on how much I fly. All are hiring with around that time. I do know of some pros and cons of each

Scenic is Pt 121 turbine time, but mainly VFR to a handfull of airports, pay is ok.

ACC is PT 135 turbine time, with lots of night and ifr, pay is pretty decent.

Great lakes is lots of flying, quick upgrade, lousy pay.

Opinions?

As a Laker, I'll have to disagree with FF. Which school are you graduating from, and when's it going to be? GLA upgrades are pretty damn fast right now - I'm looking to move up after about a year with the company and not much more than ATP minimum flight time. QOL isn't always great on the jets - just ask the guys at Pinnacle or TSA.

If you can handle the poverty-level pay, I'd say go for Lakes. They'll interview you in a heartbeat with those times, and there's nowhere in the country you'll get your 1000 turbine PIC faster. Screw QOL - that's what the NW job is for.

Go to Trans States or Mesa or some other jet operator that hires with low times, finnish your training, get a wee bit of experience, and then shop yourself around to a descent regional where your won't mind spending a few years. Good luck wherever this crazy pilot thing takes you (we all need quite a bit of luck in this twisted profession).

As a Laker, I'll have to disagree with FF. Which school are you graduating from, and when's it going to be? GLA upgrades are pretty dang fast right now - I'm looking to move up after about a year with the company and not much more than ATP minimum flight time. QOL isn't always great on the jets - just ask the guys at Pinnacle or TSA.

If you can handle the poverty-level pay, I'd say go for Lakes. They'll interview you in a heartbeat with those times, and there's nowhere in the country you'll get your 1000 turbine PIC faster. Screw QOL - that's what the NW job is for.

I have 2 years left at St. Cloud State up here in MN. I might get out half a semester early so 1.5 years left at best!

Quasar,

Is Bill M. from Maple Lake still around and giving checkrides?

Give Lakes a shot. Quick upgrade and you will have a good time there. Great first job and you'll be a heck of a stick running around at the barber pole in the ott 2. (BE02 for us oldtimers)

Quasar,

Is Bill M. from Maple Lake still around and giving checkrides?

Give Lakes a shot. Quick upgrade and you will have a good time there. Great first job and you'll be a heck of a stick running around at the barber pole in the ott 2. (BE02 for us oldtimers)

Yep, he is still around.

A lot can change in the next 2 years... I suggest that you take whatever you can get as soon as you can get it - as long as your building time it'll definitely help you in the long run! Good luck

Latest resources

Back