Scenic Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PA31Ho said:
With those times it looks like you'd be set with an FO job.

I submitted a application/resume -- I'm slightly over the TwOtter mins for FO. Any input on how much hiring they may be doing and how much time is usually competitive for an interview?

Thanks again

Last edited:
BossHogg said:
Why do you think that?

The Otter is the perfect plane to perfect your flying skills. My last flight in the Otter was a little more than 2 months ago. That airplane was just a blast, especially if you get to fly it in an area it was built to fly in. What I mean by that is short/narrow gravel strips, lots of wind, low vis, and the list goes on........once you do that for a while you'll have a very good foundation to work off of.

The only thing about Scenic, I'm not sure about that $13.50 an hour no matter how low time you are. That's brutal.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm seriously looking at them. I'm a low-time CFII. I don't mind instructing, but I'm not an MEI and can't really afford it. As a result, Scenic has got my eye. I couple of previous instructors from the flight school went to Scenic and have since moved on, so I'm interested, and I think the "6" would be cool to fly.

ILStoMinimums said:
The only thing about Scenic, I'm not sure about that $13.50 an hour no matter how low time you are. That's brutal.
That figure is actually misleading. FOs get $13.50/hour per flight hour. Pilots also get paid 1/2 their hourly rate for all ground time ($6.75 for FOs). Most regional pilots get paid only for flight time. Historically, about 1/2 of a Scenic pilot's pay comes from ground time (more in the winter, less in the summer - it averages out to a little over 50% for a year). So the equivalent hourly rate for comparison to other 19 seat turboprop 121 airlines is $20.25/hr. If you go to http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/ , you will find that it is a competative payrate.

Same for the Captains. I believe a 1st year Captain makes about $22.60 to $23.00/hr (not sure exactly). the equivalent including ground time is $33.90 to $34.50/hr. That's a competative 19 seat turbo-prop Captain salary.

Further, Scenic Captains average about 130 hours/month pay in the slow months and up to 200 hours/month June to September. Last year, I was with Scenic for 6 months (June - December) during that time I averaged 156 hours pay per month. At my new 3rd year pay rate of $25.44, I would have earned $23,812 in 6 months or $47,624 for the year (in reality, the 3rd year rate was $23.55/hour than and I earned $22,042 for the 6 months or $44,084 for the year). An FO at 1st year pay of $13.50/hr would have earned $12,636 in that 6 months or $25,272 for the year. Since we have fewer Captains than FOs, the FO would realistically fly less but he would have made at least $20,000 to $22,000 for the year. Further, if the FO came to Scenic at anywhere above 1100 total time, he would have upgraded somewhere in the 6 to 9 month timeframe.

Another thing about Scenic is that management listens to the pilots. The CP and DO will never second guess a pilot for calling in sick or fatiqued; never second guess a Captain for downing an aircraft; and will back the pilot up when customer service, reservations, etc complains about a pilot's decisions. The CP and DO ensure that neither safety or the FARs are sacrificed in the name of expediancy or profit.

There are many pay and quality of life improvements in the works at Scenic. The pilots recently complained loudly and management listened. The payrates listed above reflect a recent 8% accross the board pay raise for all pilots. They are paying bonuses to FOs to upgrade to Captain. They have cut back the number of reservations accepted and tours flown because the Otter Captains complained about being over worked and having too long of duty days (we are short Otter Captains - and yes, direct hire Captain is a possibility).

To be honest, not everything is great at Scenic. The pilots, Captain's especially, are over worked and we feel we should have higher pay and better work rules. (But than again so does every airline pilot). Long days are normal. We work 5 days on / 2 days off and the average duty day is probably 11 to 12 hours. Many days are 14 hours, especially in the summer. But overall it is a good place and getting better. Many of us, including me, complain loudly and frequently. But truthfully, management is listening and working with the pilots - not against them.

For me, it's a good place to hang out while waiting for my recall to Hawaiian. I am not alone in this feeling as 4 of our 35 Otter Captains are furloughed Hawaiian pilots. (And 3 of us originally went to Hawaiian straight from Scenic so yes, it can be done.)

Last edited:
told ya he would chime in...

good response Jim, thanks.:)

Applying to scenic.....

So the only way to apply is via the on-line app?

Can't just fly out to Vegas and drop off a resume?

I'm coming up on 600TT and 110 multi.

Thanks.

greyhound said:
So the only way to apply is via the on-line app?

Can't just fly out to Vegas and drop off a resume?

I'm coming up on 600TT and 110 multi.

Thanks.

I dont think they mind that...they get so many applications that its probably easiest for them to do the online app. I would think they would appreciate the effort of a hand delivered resume. (IF you know someone I dont even think the online thing matters....I know I never did it...just had one walked in)

Hand delivered resume is the way to go. When you do it online they all look the same once they are printed. The online resume is very long and involoved also.

Nice call on Jim chiming in Irish

Latest resources

Back