Scenic Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

check6

Anyone nice enough to mention working conditions at Scenic Airlines please stand up. What's the deal? Still hiring? Upgrades?

I noticed they had recently expanded Beech 1900 ops into Northern Nevada. I think it would be an excellant career starter(an alternative to great mistakes).

check6 said:
Anyone nice enough to mention working conditions at Scenic Airlines please stand up. What's the deal? Still hiring? Upgrades?

I noticed they had recently expanded Beech 1900 ops into Northern Nevada. I think it would be an excellant career starter(an alternative to great mistakes).

Try to get in the Twin Otter if you get a job there. That airplane is an experience of a life time.

Im sure Jim will chime in here with some more info for ya. Ive been at Scenic for a couple of months and really enjoy it. As mentioned the Twin Otter is quite the bird. It can be a handfull in serious desert winds with that tail. Its a heck of a lot of fun to fly though. We recently got a company-wide raise. Work conditions....well....12+ hour days are the average but they go by pretty fast. Captains are flying over or around 100 hours a month.

Its hands on/no autopilot down and dirty flying. Its a job that easily brings out the fact of whether or not you are a good stick and can definately help you to be a better one if anything.

Its different flying...challenging...home every night...experience. I have met several past Scenic pilots out now in the industry (mostly in the majors) and they miss the flying.

As mentioned in other threads we have had people leave for nationals and majors. Ones that I can think of off the top of my head in the past few years are....Hawiian, America West, NetJets, Southwest, UPS, and United if you can believe it (United was Pre 9/11 though)

Whats common now is guys staying and upgrading to get their 1ooo PIC or so and then heading off to a regional (Skywest is a popular one) to build some jet time then off to bigger things (Southwest is a major goal around Scenic it seems). Otherwise many FOs jump after a few months after getting a few hundred hours of 121 turbine to places like Skywest, Comair, ExpressJet, etc.

Upgrade can be fairly quick if you have the experience (I upgraded right at 1500tt) so you can easily have 1ooo 121 PIC within a little over a years time. The pay for captains aint that bad (most first years make around $40k+ a year with the new pay). Not bad considering you are home every night. (But you are working 12-14 days on average with 15 and even 16 hour days in the mix)

We have jumpseat priveleges with a surprising amount of airlines (everything from Northwest, Virgin, America West, Delta, Hawiian, Frontier etc.). There are actually several guys who live throughout the southwest that commute in each week for work. Captains are on the 5-2 schedule and FOs are partially 4-3. I know the captains would like to be on the 4-3 schedule but Im not sure thats going to change.

Thats all on the Otter side anyway

We currently have 3 1900s with a 4th and then apparently 5th on the way (1 C model and 3 D models). The 1900 guys dont fly as much as the Otter pilots and upgrade is a few years because most of the 1900 captains are at Scenic to stay for awhile-or so it seems, I could be mistaken.

Thats it off the top of my head. I like the place....you work alot...long days anyway....but its a lot of fun.

EDIT: The pilots at Scenic are, for the most part, a pretty cool group of individuals. There are about 110 or so pilots at Scenic right now so you get to know pretty much all the pilots pretty quick. Definately a good amount of brotherhood if you will. We may not see eye to eye with management all the time (go figure) but I have found them to be nice approachable people nonetheless.

Id be happy to try to answer any other questions. Like I said...Im sure Jim will chime in as well.

Last edited:
PA31Ho said:
Know about First Officer pay?

$13.50/per hour flight, $6.75/per hour ground I think with new raise.

Its not much...but you have to consider the value of the time as well. Lower time pilots logging 121 turbine time and PIC time easily within a year. Worst case scenario you build some twin turbine time to prep you for a good regional if there is such a thing anymore.

Oh, absolutely! Turbine time with chance to upgrade to Capt within 8 months (depending on your time of course) ... not bad pay for that

Advice
Does scenic hire FO’s from within? I would be looking at an a/p tech position, Till I meet their minimum requirements my experience level is 15 year w/major airline that is thinking about dumping 50% of there technicians. Currently working on cfi, I do have 525 tt 250 multi / instrument or would they hire a none cfi with the that experience
Any advice thanks.

Latest resources

Back