• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

saw runway at 50' w/GS out of service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One more twist to the story ........................... Capt ALLEGEDLY called in fatigued the day of the accident ......................... was pressured by company to fly that day ............... not sure if it's true, but the FAA have been calling random pilots to ask about how the company reacts to a fatigue/sick call (this part is fact).

Capt ALLEGEDLY called in fatigued the day of the accident ......................... was pressured by company to fly that day

Forget the "pressue." If you're fatigued, you're fatigued. Give 'em the bird! Call up ALPA for support later if needed.

The captain stated they were informed that the runway visual range (RVR) was 6,000 feet and that the braking action was fair. He reported that after passing the final approach fix, they were informed that the RVR had decreased to 2,000 feet.

The minimum for this approach is 5000 RVR. Would you continue?

The captain stated they were informed that the runway visual range (RVR) was 6,000 feet and that the braking action was fair. He reported that after passing the final approach fix, they were informed that the RVR had decreased to 2,000 feet.

Yes, I would continue...down to MDA, with a quick briefing on go around procedures as I descended. RVR is never equal to flight visibility, and is subject to change in the minute and 30 seconds that would pass between the report and actual MAP.

At least no one was hurt, and the airline industry as a whole can benefit from someone else's misfortune for once without blood. I hope the company did pressure the pilot after a fatigue call...let there big a large FAA crackdown on how poorly US airlines are approaching staffing issues and the lengths they go to to get the job done. Maybe Shuttle America needs some procedural changes when it comes to low visibility approaches, or on how the the approach is briefed to ensure that everyone knows if the approach has all components usable. Again, lets not beat these guys down and say it would never happen to us. Lets trust that the captain had many moments of good judgement along the way, and lets find out where the decision making broke down.

And as for the engines being spooled down at 30'.... on the E170, the A/T go into retard mode at 30' RA. However, those little buggers spool up real quick, and will lift you up in a hurry.

NOPE. Remember, these guys were supposed to be shooting a LOC only non-precision approach. I'd really have to ask myself why I'd want to continue down to a 2000 rvr in blizzard conditions on a short runway, etc...

Makes no sense.

Latest resources

Back