Saudi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Saudi Arabia

I have a very good friend who instructed Saudia primary students something like twelve years ago. He signed some kind of contract. Somehow, I gathered that while he was paid very well he found the culture and environment as very restrictive and regimented compared to the U.S. Maybe this was the "compound" that DC10 references. Also, as DC10 said, not much to do in your spare time. I recall my friend telling me that he could get English-language TV, but not all the programs we enjoy (and I'm NOT talking about x-rated pay TV! :) ). At any rate, he was very unhappy and was let out of his contract.

Also, very hot from what I recall my friend telling me. It sounded like a great adventure, though.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd bet that you would come home with some interesting stories!

Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
The term " compound" is somewhat misunderstood. I think it was the way people envision it way back in the 70s and possibly 80s when the foreign workers were kept separate from the local population. That is not how I found it to be. I lived for two and a half months at the Hotel Intercontinental in Jeddah, hardly a compound. It was located right on the Red Sea Coast. Getting tired of that, the group of us staying there made a deal to rent two Villas at a golf resort a little ways up the coast. We made sure to include free golf in the price. :D The villas were definitely not a compound, this was a resort area that the locals frequented on the weekends.

Having said that, it does make sense to live where the other foreign workers are living and some " compounds " still exist. The Saudi Arabian Airlines compound in Jeddah is a huge affair that covers multiple city blocks. It is a great place to go because the residents make some good beer and wine. You are by no means restricted in where you can go within the city though. If you want to go out to a local restaurant for dinner or go to the old town for shopping then you just get in your car and go. Another " compound " is the Aramco residential area in Dhahran. It is a lovely neighborhood bordering the Aramco facility. When in there you would think that you were in some arid western state like Arizona and not in Saudi Arabia.

To edit my first post, the bureacracy is actually the second most annoying thing. The most annoying thing above living in Saudi Arabia is the call to prayer five times per day. I honestly believe there is no place in the country where that can't be heard. It is particularly enraging when you just finished flying at 0400 in the morning and want to fall fast asleep. First call is something like an hour before sunrise. Picture yourself just falling asleep after a long night of maintenance delays when all of a sudden someone starts shouting at the top of their lungs right in your ear. If you go, just remember to get an apartment as far away from a minaret as possible.

Another View of "The Perfect American"

I've read most of these posts and agree with some of them but have one comment:

"FOR GOD'S SAKE IF YOU VISIT A MAN'S HOUSE RESPECT IT"
regardless of what you think of him or his rules.
Most of the people (foriegnors) in trouble over there some how have the (stupid) notion they have rights because they may be US or British or other. The true fact is you are a guest in their country (house). I have been ferrying Aircraft through that region for some time and have made friends with the Immigration and Customs officials there and they do admit that all their laws aren't perfect, but its their law and they "DEMAND" respect.
So if you going to stay in your yard and bark like a 'ole dog' then thats fine, but if you plan on visiting Saudia or anywhere else for that matter "Be RESPECTFUL"
Because the same view you have of them "THEY HAVE OF Us"

hope that helps.

Cheers
Taz

Perhaps they view that they have of us is this: a necessary evil, a consumer of their product, a defender of their regime, a detested servant.

If we were smart enough to explore our own oil reserves, the royal family would easily topple from the loss of their largest customer.

A house that deserves respect is a house that GIVES respect.

They have made clear the lack of respect for the "guests" in their house.

Sure the people can be nice to your face one-on-one. You don't hear what they say behind your backs. The general impression I get from the whole culture over there is disrespect to US. The term infidel is well known over there and pehaps we do represent the infidel from time to time. The only reason they tolerate US at all is because we are such a good customer for their oil and we deliver some of our best technology to them. They will take our flying talent all day long too - oh as long as you are not a woman. There are definitely many finincial supporters of the terrorist we are after in that country and are not going to be supportive of any actions against Iraq. I say reduce dependance on their oil and pull out and see them come running to US when the s**t hits the fan. I'm torn at the thought of military action against Iraq at this point in time, but if we (and what I would like to see is some sort of alliance and support from the rest of the world) don't get some resolution from this madman/Saddam weapon plans our only option will be nuclear and won't that be a nice cloud over Saudi Arabia.

This is for the guy that thinks that we were "guests" of the Suadis during the Gulf War and should have followed their local customs:

We were not "Guests" of the Saudis. Our people were not there because they wanted to be there. They did not choose voluntarily to "visit", they were there because the Suadis begged us to come save their royal asses. THAT is the difference, and to deny our personnel their own religious symbols was incredibly disrespectful.

The Saudi PR machine thinks that we are all fools, and all they have to do is buy some air time warm fuzzies, and we will not see that they are funding terrorist activities and bad mouthing us all over the Arab world.

If it were up to me, I would tell them that we are calling in our markers, and if they don't like it, we'll make the battle plan such that the fleeing Iraquis will be driven into Saudi . . . now, wouldn't that be poetic justice.

Getting back to the original question...a year tour in Dhahran.

I spent 3.5 months there. If there is a place to go in Saudi, that is the place. The Air Force sends pilots there for a year tour to run the Saudi's F-15 Weapon's School. So, many have done what you are thinking about doing. I would do it only if:

I was single
I needed a type rating
They paid me huge $$$
Two free trips home during the year

Pros:
The "compounds" are very nice. In fact, you want to live in one of the compounds. They are guarded, for what that's worth, they have large pools and nice tennis courts. The compound is like a safe haven. Wives in bikinis, booze, etc, etc. Yes they get beer, somehow. Aramco has people you’d want to visit.

There is a huge mall we called the MSIP mall, (inside joke) and another mall we called the Tacan mall. You'll see why. You'll be able to buy what ever you want. They have nice restaurants around too.

If you like beer, spend your weekends in Bahrain. Just spend those big bucks on a hotel room. Bahrain is better than Saudi and there is a British airline flight attendant school there too.

I kind of scoff the golf comment. There is golf, but the fairways are sand and the greens have no grass.

The cons:
Driving there is anarchy. Seriously, the worst I’ve seen. It’s a desert it’s hot. People don’t like us, which is ok, the feelings are mutual.

But how often will you there if the job is so good? For a 747-400 type rating, sign me up.

As far a war, you won't even know it. Unless the company stops flying. By then you'll have your type-rating. The next Iraq war won't be fought out of Saudi.

Good Luck. The more I think about it, I may join you. Either that or Truckmasters.

From Dharhan, Bahrain is a relatively short drive across a causeway. Of all the Saudi cities, Dharhan would be the most palatable solely due to its proximity to Bahrain.

Otherwise lots of pros and cons of living in Saudi, mostly discussed above.

As someone who has spent well more than a year of my life in total (although not all at one time) on the Arabian peninsula, I have to say that Saudi would be the last on my list of the GCC countries in which I would want to live. UAE or Oman would be the first, followed by Qatar, Bahrain and then Kuwait.

Even if you take the job and end up regretting it, you could follow the advice my father used to give me. "You can stand on your head in a bucket of s**t for a year if you have to."

Good luck with the decision.

I'm just finishing up a year-long flying contract in Kuwait--just north of Saudi. It is somewhat similar to Saudi with a few more freedoms but dirtier. It is relatively big bucks, but I will DEFINITELY not renew my contract. Take all the negative things you've read on the thread, multiply them by ten, and that's how I feel. Good luck.

Be very careful what you ask for...

Hello,
I would basically agree with everyone's statements and comments in regards to living in Saudi Arabia. I've spent time in Saudi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and the U.A.E. (Dubai and Abu Dhabi). I would necessarily say that we are the most welcome people in a general sense, but taken as individuals. The people over there aren't a lot different from us when it comes to pursuing their daily lives, working, school, etc... In fact I met some really nice folks over there.
Having said all that, I couldn't care less if I ever went back there again. Maybe, I'd consider Dubai or Bahrain, but forget Saudi Arabia. From personal experience and observation of theri military I'm neither a believer nor a fan in their modus operendi. The US pretty much maintains their F-15s, the Brits maintain the Hawk and Tornado fleet. When the US had a major presence in Dahran prior to the Khobar Towers debacle, we were shoved off to one side of the field (out of sight, out of mind). Also, keep in mind our "allies" will not provide basing for an attack on Iraq if it comes to that and they are a supporter of terrrorism indirectly, yes, but nevertheless the evidence of Saudi money making it to the "bad guys" is hard to deny.
If you are bound and determined to go, I'd make sure that you live as close as possible to the causeway into Bahrain if not in-country. Bahrain is very progressive as Arab countries go and the Gulf Hotel has a great Irish pub that is typically full of western airline stews (not like the kind in the US that are great-grannies either, I know that wasn't nice but I couldn't help it:)
Even if 9-11 never occured I'd still not even consider going over there. If it is a means to end for you, perhaps it might be worth it. I don't know what the perentage of people extending their contracts is, but I reckon it's less than 50%.
Best of luck to you, and have a "Swarma" (sic) on me:)

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

Latest resources

Back