Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Check out this custom paint job on the B737!

Sweet!

I seem to remember a story about an Alaska plane getting hit on takeoff in SE AK by a salmon. How could that have happened? Spooked an eagle carrying his family's dinner. Dropped dinner collided with aircraft. Score - Airplane 1, Salmon 0.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Promo/fishplane.asp

Looks so much better than Shamu.

Cheers!

GP

I was in BWI and was almost hit by a fish that way. The bird (not sure what kind) was carrying a LARGE fish and his climb rate wasn't that good. He had to be way over his MTOW because he barely cleared us!

There's an article in the September issue of Airways magazine about the Alaska incident. There was a fed on the jumpseat no less. Happened on March 30, 1987 and both pilots are still with Alaska. Pretty good story. As they say sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

GuppyPuppy said:
Check out this custom paint job on the B737!

Sweet!

I seem to remember a story about an Alaska plane getting hit on takeoff in SE AK by a salmon. How could that have happened? Spooked an eagle carrying his family's dinner. Dropped dinner collided with aircraft. Score - Airplane 1, Salmon 0.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Promo/fishplane.asp

Looks so much better than Shamu.

Cheers!

GP

Anything looks better than Shamu!!

PHXFLYR:cool:

An A-10 assigned to the Eglin AFB test center in the early 1990s took a snake-stike as it came off a gun pass, similar circumstances as the Alaska incident mentioned earlier. The reptile went right into number 1 and was big enough to damage some blades in the engine core. You know how any type of bird that makes it into the core smells like really bad chicken cooking? I was told that snake bits in the compressor section don't smell "just like chicken."

Yeah, their is a pic on A.net as well. Very attractive aircraft. As geeky as this may sound. . . .I can't wait to see it in real life.

I heard tell of a Hawker suffering a snake strike in flight.

I saw this plane right after touchdown at SEA yesterday - it really catches your eye (no pun intended). And speaking of strikes, we took a lightning bolt on the nose on downwind just a few minutes prior. Fun way to end the day.

ivauir said:
Shamu says salmon taste GREAT!
One of our guys was in SEA the other day with one of our Shamus. We actually had all four of them at the time. The Salmon aircraft was there. ATC says "The Orcas are killing fish"

Latest resources

Back