Safety pilot on an IFR flight plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

Can an instrument rated pilot file an IFR flight plan and then let an instrument student fly the plane? In other words, rather than put the student uder the hood in VFR conditions, can an IFR rated pilot act as a safety pilot in IFR conditions?

Bernoulli said:
Can an instrument rated pilot file an IFR flight plan and then let an instrument student fly the plane? In other words, rather than put the student uder the hood in VFR conditions, can an IFR rated pilot act as a safety pilot in IFR conditions?

There is no such thing as "a safety pilot in IFR conditions". Safety pilots are there to watch for other traffice while in VMC conditions while the pilot flying trains with a vision limiting device. As soon as you enter IMC the safety pilot in becomes a passenger unless a copilot is otherwise required.

Part 91 does not prohibit the pilot-in-command from letting a passenger manipulate the controls, nor does part 91 say which seat the PIC has to sit in.

Of course if something goes wrong the FAA could find you were engaged in a careless or recklless operation.

Unless you are a CFII or are otherwise very comfortable with flying IFR from the right seat, you'd better think twice about this.

I'll second what JimNTexas said. You're going to be PIC and you're going to be betting your violation-free record that your IFR student pilot buddy can keep his altitude with in 300' of your assigned altitude for the entire time he's flying. Other than that, it would be a worthwhile experience for him to sit and observe you "work the system". Let him watch, not fly - he can't log the time any way.

Lead Sled

If the instrument rated pilot is a CFII, and answer is a resounding yes. I did most of my instrument training in actual IMC, in the airplane. Now, not knowing the legalities, my instructor was never PIC. I was always PIC, and it was dual instruction. Logged as such, signed off.

Now, if you are not a CFII, you can do it, however you legally have to file the flight plan. And, if you are not the CFII, he can't log the time, and you put yourself at jeopardy.

Last edited:
However, in VMC the safety pilot is still required if the pilot is under the hood.

Anytime you have a pilot wearing a hood you should have a safety pilot. If you are in solid IFR and one guy is wearing a hood what's the point?

If you are a student and logging dual received you are not PIC in my interpretation. I know this is an old argument but if the shiit hits the fan guess who the FAA/NTSB is going to say was the PIC. The guy with the most ratings/experience. And in case you think you are the sole manipulator of the controls guess again. The CFI can take the airplane anytime he/she wants. The only reason you happen to be the sole manipulator on any given flight is that you didn't screw up enough to need them to do it. I am nervous about sleeping in the back of a small aircraft when the guys up front are less experienced than I am.

Speedtree said:
If you are a student and logging dual received you are not PIC in my interpretation.
If you're talking under IFR or in weather conditions less than VFR and the student is not already instrument rated, of course not. I've never heard anyone claim that such a person can =ever= act as PIC.

Bernoulli, I know this is a carry-over from the other thread. I don't think you're being clear enough though. The only reason I'm budding in is because that I feel I got this ball rolling in the first place and now I'm curious as well.
For anyone reading: Does anyone know if a CFI(not CFII) can file an IFR, act as "safety pilot", have the student fly it in VMC/IMC or even fly an INSTRUMENT flight, period, legally and can the student log the time? If so, what reference?

Last edited:
sky37d said:
if you are not the CFII, he can't log the time, and you put yourself at jeopardy.
Why not? If he is rated in the category and class then he can log PIC anytime he is sole manipulator of the controls. There is no requirement for a pilot to be legally able to ACT as PIC in order for him to LOG PIC.

Uncle Sparky said:
Does anyone know if a CFI(not CFII) can file an IFR, act as "safety pilot", have the student fly it in VMC/IMC or even fly an INSTRUMENT flight, period, legally and can the student log the time? If so, what reference?
Any instrument rated pilot can be the PIC. [14CFR61.3(e)] Any non-instrument rated pilot with the appropriate category and class rating can LOG PIC for the time during which he is sole manipulator of the controls. [14CFR61.51]

Latest resources

Back