Safety pilot on an IFR flight plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
midlifeflyer said:
If you're talking under IFR or in weather conditions less than VFR and the student is not already instrument rated, of course not. I've never heard anyone claim that such a person can =ever= act as PIC.
Nor can a non-instrument rated pilot file an IFR flight plan even if it's flown entirely in VMC.

Bernoulli said:
Can an instrument rated pilot file an IFR flight plan and then let an instrument student fly the plane? In other words, rather than put the student uder the hood in VFR conditions, can an IFR rated pilot act as a safety pilot in IFR conditions?
I'm taking his question at face value and there is not a CFI or CFII involved. The answer to his question is yes of course, but...

What really is to be gained? Like I said in the previous post, the IR pilot is the PIC and you're going to be betting your violation-free record that your IFR student pilot buddy can keep his altitude with in 300' of your assigned altitude for the entire time he's flying. Other than that, it would be a worthwhile experience for him to sit and observe you "work the system". Let him watch, not fly. He can't log the time in IMC unless he is instrument rated or with an instructor. Am I wrong here?

Lead Sled

Lead Sled said:
He can't log the time in IMC unless he is instrument rated or with an instructor. Am I wrong here?
Yes, I think you are wrong on this one point. As it's been interpreted, the authority to log instrument time for a recreational or higher pilot is not based on having an instrument rating or being with a CFI. (I am of course assuming that when Bernoulli says "instrument student" he means a private pilot who is working on his instryment rating) The flying pilot may log the time if the pilot has the proper =aircraft= ratings and the flight conditions consist of actual IMC.

==============================
Logging instrument flight time.
(1) A person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.
==============================

Notice. Nothing about who else is on board at the time. Arguably, there needs to be some kind of logable "flight time", but the part of the rule that allows the sole manipulator to log PIC based only on being the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft the pilot is rated for satisfies that requirement. I don't see anything else in 61.51 (the entire known universe of logging rules) that bases logging instrument time on the presence of a CFI.

There's also the famous "moonless night" FAA Legal opinion that says that a non-instrument rated pilot may log actual instrument time even when alone in the airplane.

On the side issue of the risk to the instrument-rated pilot's cerrtifciate, I figure that Bernoulli is a big boy and can make a decision about the acceptability of that risk for himself. I certainly wouldn't have done it in IMC before I became a II, but that'sjust me.

Logging questions aside, the legal PIC must be instrument rated (and current) to fly under IFR. Also, "safety pilot" is applicable to SIMULATED instrument flight; FAR 61.51 (g)(3), which contemplates currency for instrument pilots under 61.57(c), and FAR 109.109(b), relating to simulated instrument flight. Of possible interest is whether there are any potential insurance coverage problems when non-CFII flying right seat with non-instrument-rated pilot in left seat, on an IFR flight plan, especially under IMC. Might want to confirm insurance coverage. Depending on who owns the a/c (owner's policy), whether you are an independent CFI (your own CFI policy) or with a flight school (its policy).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back