Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I'm dealing with a critical application. If these fasteners fail, the results could potentially be fatal. I need maximum security. I've been torquing 1/2" grade-8 bolts to 135ft/lbs. Tonight, one of the bolts snapped in half while torquing. This made me rethink all the other bolts that I've been torquing to this spec. First, shouldn't a 1/2" grade-8 bolt withstand far more than 135ft/lbs??? If not, I need a general torque spec that will ensure proper bolt tension. Remember, if these bolts fail or come loose, the results will not be pretty.

Yes, I know that SAE bolts are not used on aircraft, but this isn't an aircraft application. I was however, hoping someone might know....

UnAnswerd said:
I'm dealing with a critical application. If these fasteners fail, the results could potentially be fatal. I need maximum security. I've been torquing 1/2" grade-8 bolts to 135ft/lbs. Tonight, one of the bolts snapped in half while torquing. This made me rethink all the other bolts that I've been torquing to this spec. First, shouldn't a 1/2" grade-8 bolt withstand far more than 135ft/lbs??? If not, I need a general torque spec that will ensure proper bolt tension. Remember, if these bolts fail or come loose, the results will not be pretty.

Yes, I know that SAE bolts are not used on aircraft, but this isn't an aircraft application. I was however, hoping someone might know....

Just use German torq specs.

General torque values:

Grade 8 1/2" dia course thread (13 threads per inch): 95-105 lb-ft
Grade 8 1/2" dia fine thread (20 threads per inch): 113-123 lb-ft

It might take the 135 but once you stretch a bolt beyond it's capacity it won't give you a proper torque reading leading you to keep tightening until you get it or break the bolt. Even if it doesn't break, the first good stress will probably snap it.

135 lb/ft isn't that outrageous, the gland nut on my vw is 150 lb/ft, requires a long bar and standing on it as the motor is locked to the bench.

Why are you using grade 8 bolts? Use AN hardware and you won't have that problem.

Doing your aircraft parts shopping at home depot, now?

avbug said:
Why are you using grade 8 bolts? Use AN hardware and you won't have that problem.

Why not use SAE grade-8 bolts??? A true grade-8 bolt will yield a tensile-strength of approximately 150,000psi. Though AN hardware may indeed have the same or better values, it is too expensive, not readily available, and quite frankly not even necessary for the application I'm dealing with.

avbug said:
Doing your aircraft parts shopping at home depot, now?

As I said before, this isn't for an aircraft. It's for a truck.

Latest resources

Back