Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawkster54

Knuckle Deep!
I am looking for a good headset that does not have a head piece. I have seen the molded ear inserts but I was wondering if they will be quiet enough to block out the tubo prop noise?

Any info would be great!

i used to floy a 1900. it was a great plane but noisy. you really need a headset. i used an earpeice because its more authentic. i had difficulty hearing most of the time.

mav

huh............say again............can't quite hear you...............BUY A GOOD HEADSET. My wife claims it's selective hearing but not always..

Yeah, I ought to have invested in a Bose at some point, even in the Dash, which tends to be a bit on the quiet side for a prop.

I am as deaf as a post now!

We've got the Bose in one of our C-90s, and it works really, really well. It's light, and very comfortable, but you're screwed if the batteries die on ya...there isn't much passive reduction to speak of.

I'd been researching ANR headsets for myself recently, and, after reading a LOT of positive reviews, I ordered a Lightspeed Zulu, which should be here in a day or two...it's sitting in OKC right now...damn you, UPS Ground! Get moving!! :p I hear it's rated right up there with the Bose for reduction and comfort, but is also about $150 less and has a 10 yr warranty. The only downside I read is that Lightspeeds, in general, seem to break easily. I'm hoping that since this is a new model, and that enough time has passed since it debuted, that they've got the Qual Control problems worked out. Either way, at least it has that warranty! :D

I'll get you a review as soon as I can, if you'd like. ;)

Last edited:
headsets...

I'm picking up a Zulu on my way to work this afternoon, finally giving up on the DC's in the SAAB. I'll be using the new headset on my 3 day trip and I'll let you know what I think.

Also, if you do a search for Lightspeed Zulu on this forum you can see what other people have put on here including a link to a review written by someone else on a seperate site. Very indepth and informative. When if comes down to it, yes they are tax deductible, but $150 is $150 man, and I couldn't see the reason to spend the extra!

Peace!

Good, active noise-canceling are practically a necessity in a turboprop. I did about 3500 hours in the 1900D, mostly using a Pilot Avionics PA-1779XL and it really helped to fight fatigue, improve communications and save my hearing. In fact, my AME remarked a few days ago how good my hearing is even at my advanced age.

So definitely look into getting something to protect your hearing. You can never get back any hearing that you lose through exposure to high noise levels.

Latest resources

Back