• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SAAB 340 vs. other regional props

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure it isn't a Q400, and I've heard that it was a mx hog, but everyone I know that flew the Dornier says it was a performer if there ever was one.

The Q400 is a great plane as long as you can overlook its spotty mx record. It's fast for a turboprop (usually TAS is about 370 i think), comfortable in the back, quiet, and has nice avionics. The pilots at the airline enjoy it, but the MX guys think its a nightmare. The MX problems come because its a newer airplane design, and because economies of scale make it tough to get parts in a timely manner. Everyone and their uncle makes 737 parts because there are how many thousands of them? There are only a few hundred Q400's out there, so there are far far fewer parts suppliers.

Sure it isn't a Q400, and I've heard that it was a mx hog, but everyone I know that flew the Dornier says it was a performer if there ever was one.

Dork was a mx nightmare until they finally flew it the way it was suppose to be flown. When the airplane was flying short routes and many legs a day it had big issues.
But when they started flying the thing on 1.5-2.0 stage lengths it became a good performer!

Dork was a mx nightmare until they finally flew it the way it was suppose to be flown. When the airplane was flying short routes and many legs a day it had big issues.
But when they started flying the thing on 1.5-2.0 stage lengths it became a good performer!

I am curious where you are getting your dork mx info from.

After five years in the dornier, It had one weak spot the 1ve panel when it got hot the AC from the apu was unable to power the airplane. After some thermal improvments it was a machine.

The Dornier was a Mercedes Benz (literally). The Dash -- perhaps a Cadilac with a missing muffler. The Saab... yeah, Buick is about right.

PacoPollo... whoever told you that the RJ was a "real airplane" has probably never flown a "real airplane".

The Jball is a pilot's airplane. After a few years in the beast you could close your eyes and touch the yoke and tell how fast you were going.

From the Passenger standpoint the Dornier 328 is the machine. Fast, relatively quiet and really good seating.

As a pilot riding in the back begging a ride the Dash 8 is the tank that will always bring you home...that means a lot and is the real bottom line!

The Saab wasn't too bad for the pax-if the checked baggage didn't get left behind...

Stick a full fare paying passenger in any RJ for two and a half hours and see what they say (piss off is the comment I recall)...

RJ's are for kids that think they are making a big break from Piper Senecas and CEO's that want to undermine their mainline's pilots' union representation.

These are the humble observations of someone that has watched aviation since the '60's...flame on-if you have the guts!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back