• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RVSM Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depends on what your LOA says about training requirements, but all of them that I've been in contact with require at least initial training for all pilots, and probably some sort of recurrent, too.

Do you already have your LOA from the feds? Your airplane can be RVSM'ed meaning that it has had the survice bulletins done, but the actual LOA is issued to the operator and does not transfer with the airplane. Meaning that you can buy a new plane that is RVSM, but you still have to get the LOA for your operation from the feds.

At least in my neck of the wods (read FSDO) you must have pilot training prior to LOA issuance. You can get the LOA without the GMU flight done, as long as it is completed within 6 months of issuance. The pilot training is required though. However FSDO's are operating in their typical fashion on this, some make it pretty easy and others are a screwed up mess.

To fully answer your question though. Your airplane and operation must be listed on the FAA's database as having a current LOA for RVSM. If both the tail number and company do not show up on their database you will NOT be cleared into RVSM airspace. I have talked to a couple of guys who actually hold the LOA but for some reason or another the paperwork got screwed up and their operation does not appear on the database, so until they can get it sorted out they will not be cleared into RVSM. During training we were told that ATC will be going directly from this database and they will make no exceptions. Technically non RVSM aircraft can transit through RVSM if climbing above RVSM (above fl 410 and higher) but we were told that ATC is not going to lets them. So unless all your stuff is done, you are stuck at FL 290 starting thursday.

I have the website address to the database in our plane, I will try to remember to post it on monday when we get back from our trip. I do not know it off the top of my head. I made sure we showed up on it then stashed it in our RVSM MEL book.

Last edited:
My understanding that the crew must also be trained in rvsm in order to be legal. Under 91 operations there is no recurrent required after the initial training.

Ksnoter hit the nail on the head. In my opinion. But my thoughts differ from the Bandit on recurrency. I thought it was 2 years then a crew rvsm training event. (91)
Also the LOA has an expiration date.
This, coming from a guy in boxers and drinking beer at 2:00 p.m.:cool:

cosmotheassman said:
If your airplane is RVSM certified but, the pilots haven't had any RVSM training, does that limit you next thursday???
The simple answer is yes. However, there are enough sources for online training that it's not a problem.

'Sled

I am in training at ASA. We went through a few slides during Ops Module that talked about all the requirements and they said we were now certified for RVSM.

I also just saw a new revision for our POH and all the changes were for RVSM

Daveman said:
Ksnoter hit the nail on the head. In my opinion. But my thoughts differ from the Bandit on recurrency. I thought it was 2 years then a crew rvsm training event. (91)
Also the LOA has an expiration date.
This, coming from a guy in boxers and drinking beer at 2:00 p.m.:cool:

Our LOA expires on 1/31/06 and I must maintain in my crewmember records verification that the pilots flying the aircraft have received either initial or recurrent training in RVSM within the past two years. I also have to maintain records of flights into RVSM/MNPS airspace within the past 6 months. The FSDO can come and check them at any time as well as maintaining the aircraft to RVSM standards. In Europe, they require proof that the GMU or Altitude Monitoring flight has been completed within the past two years as well.

But just having an RVSM equiped aircraft, trained crew and all the requirments met, does not mean you can fly in RVSM airspace until the LOA (91) is issued or the Ops Specs if you are operating under Part 135.

CorpLearDriver said:
But just having an RVSM equiped aircraft, trained crew and all the requirments met, does not mean you can fly in RVSM airspace until the LOA (91) is issued or the Ops Specs if you are operating under Part 135.
100% agree. My thoughts in a nut shell.
Aircraft rvsm compliant.
crew rvsm compliant
Operator submits app. to FSDO, then receives LOA.
Aircraft/crew (within 6 months) complies with flight test (airinc.)

Beers and Jameson.:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back