• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RVSM Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of folks don't realize it, but for the first six months, pilots and aircraft not certificated or trained or LOA'd for RVSM, will be operating up there. Legally.

avbug said:
A lot of folks don't realize it, but for the first six months, pilots and aircraft not certificated or trained or LOA'd for RVSM, will be operating up there. Legally.

Really? I am not flipping any garbage here, but how and where does it state that. My understanding is that was in relationship to GMU flight only.

Daveman said:
Ksnoter hit the nail on the head. In my opinion. But my thoughts differ from the Bandit on recurrency. I thought it was 2 years then a crew rvsm training event. (91)
Also the LOA has an expiration date.
This, coming from a guy in boxers and drinking beer at 2:00 p.m.:cool:
I was referring to domestic only. International it is every 2 years.

G100driver said:
Really? I am not flipping any garbage here, but how and where does it state that. My understanding is that was in relationship to GMU flight only.

G100 you are correct. It only refers to GMU flight tests

G100driver said:
Our LOA, issued 4 weeks ago states an expiration on DRVSM.
Yes the LOA does have an expiration date. There is no expiration of the crew currency at this time for domestic rvsm operation.

AVbug,

You probably have the GMU flight confused with the LOA. You can run 6 months without the GMU. At least with our FSDO, you are stuck at 290 starting thursday if you are not compliant.(current LOA)

I guess it will really come down to ATC on Thursday, Either they clear you into RVSM airspace, or they don't.

Word I have is unless you appear on the FAA's list, you will not receive a clearance above 290. We shall see.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Word I have is unless you appear on the FAA's list, you will not receive a clearance above 290. We shall see.

I don't think that's feasable. The controllers aren't going to be able to check a list of 10K+ airplanes every time they clear someone above 290.

I've heard that the ATC Command Center (or whatever they call themselves) is going to record all aircraft in RVSM airspace every few hours and check the tail numbers (possibly randomly) against the list. If you're not on the list, your @$$ is grass. Expect a certified letter in the mail. You'll have the next 60 days to feel shame.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why they are opening the whole enroute portion of the skies when the real bottlenecks are at the airports/terminal areas?

Brett Hull said:
I don't think that's feasable. The controllers are going to be able to check a list of 10K+ airplanes every time they clear someone above 290.

I've heard that the ATC Command Center (or whatever they call themselves) is going to record all aircraft in RVSM airspace every few hours and check the tail numbers (possibly randomly) against the list. If you're not on the list, your @$$ is grass. Expect a certified letter in the mail. You'll have the next 60 days to feel shame.

That seems reasonable, However they do it, I'm sure they will be hunting heads for the guys that violate the rules.

Still, I'm sure that there is some bozo out there that figures if he just files the RVSM code that he will get away with it!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back