RVSM Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mmmdonut said:
Does anyone know why they are opening the whole enroute portion of the skies when the real bottlenecks are at the airports/terminal areas?
That is the $100,000 question. I have asked that many times myself.

I'm just glad I took care of all this a year ago.

Brett Hull said:
I don't think that's feasable. The controllers aren't going to be able to check a list of 10K+ airplanes every time they clear someone above 290.

I've heard that the ATC Command Center (or whatever they call themselves) is going to record all aircraft in RVSM airspace every few hours and check the tail numbers (possibly randomly) against the list. If you're not on the list, your @$$ is grass. Expect a certified letter in the mail. You'll have the next 60 days to feel shame.

Just to clarify, RVSM begins at 290 and continues through 410, therefore, without RVSM you are only good up to 280. If you can climb continously from 280 up to 430, then ATC may clear you through the RVSM airspace, to the normal airspace above it.

k

kybur said:
Just to clarify, RVSM begins at 290 and continues through 410, therefore, without RVSM you are only good up to 280. If you can climb continously from 280 up to 430, then ATC may clear you through the RVSM airspace, to the normal airspace above it.

k

In theory. Wait and see if actually ever happens. Particularity on the East Coast.

For six months, aircraft that have not undergone monitoring for certification may still operate DRVSM. Additionally, air ambulance flights using the lifegaurd call sign, DoD flights, aircraft conducting certification and development, and aircraft transitioning DRVSM for higher or lower, may operate with out RVSM compliance. These aircraft must operate with 2,000' separation.

The reality is, however, that a whole lot of aircraft are going to be operating for the first six months without having complied RVSM. These aircraft will never have demonstrated their capability to operate within the tolerances required for RVSM, but will still continue to operate. In many other cases, only a portion of the fleet, by type or group, must be monitored, leaving large numbers of aircraft that will be operating in reduced separation airspace without ever having demonstrated the ability to comply.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Word I have is unless you appear on the FAA's list, you will not receive a clearance above 290. We shall see.

I have nothing to do with DRVSM, being a terminal puke. But the "word" I'm hearing is, if you ain't a /W or /Q, it better be 3:00 am over Muleshoe TX. to get a clearance.

Thursday will be interesting. We asked if we terminal folks were going to get involved in this asking for or approving or denying access, and were told no. Wonder how many amendments I'll be doing to the equipment suffixes, and how long it will take the operators to get it squared away......

Vector4fun said:
I have nothing to do with DRVSM, being a terminal puke. But the "word" I'm hearing is, if you ain't a /W or /Q, it better be 3:00 am over Muleshoe TX. to get a clearance.

Thursday will be interesting. We asked if we terminal folks were going to get involved in this asking for or approving or denying access, and were told no. Wonder how many amendments I'll be doing to the equipment suffixes, and how long it will take the operators to get it squared away......

Any idea how the feds are tracking who's legal and who's not?

KeroseneSnorter said:
Any idea how the feds are tracking who's legal and who's not?

Nope, haven't seen anything. I sure wouldn't want to be the guy(s) who get caught deliberately trying to sneak up there though. I think the FAA will be rather harsh. But I imagine a few will try it anyway. The same sort who try to maintain a LR23 on a PA23 budget...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back