Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TransMach said:
Guys,

If you are flying FAR 121 or 135, regardless of the banter on this thread, go take a good close look at your operations specifications, Part C. Since about 1990 when the FAA switched to "Automated OpSpec" system there have been statements in Part C - Terminal Procedures that state ...

"When a runway is served by RVR or RVV, the reported RVR or RVV is controlling for operations on that runway." (or words to that effect, I don't have a book with me).

For me in 121/135 operations that statement, and it is carried on both the precision and non-precision approach authorization paragraphs tells me that the last reported RVR for my landing or departure runway is controlling for all operations on that runway .... regardless.

Now, Part 91 that's a different story.

TransMach

If you see the runway I still dont see the harm in landing. I believe the ops specs also goes by when you can and can't continue down from DH/MDA. If you see the terminating bars then you can land the airplane. I dont see why this is so difficult. If you can see the runway then just land. You would have to have at least 1800 RVR to see that stuff. If the RVR is much less than that you are not going to see the runway environment at DH. Assuming a 3 to 1 GS when you are on a 1 mile final you are 300 ft above the runway. When you get to your DH of 200ft you should be about 2/3 of a mile from the runway. If you can see the runway environment then you obviously have the required visibility. Why would one turn down a landing just because some computer says something different which BTW could be wrong. Why risk going missed and eating up more precious fuel when you dont have to? Enough things have already been taken from the pilots discrection toolbox. Lets not take away the ability to use our own judgement when its safe or unsafe to land. If you dont see the runway lights at DH go missed. If you do keep goin down and land if you see the runway. Go to 100 feet above TDZE if you only see the approach lights , if you see the runway, land, if not go missed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back