RV suggestions, please.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Geronimo4497

Well, it is a sad day. I sold the old Apache project that I have been "working" on for over 5 years. The commute to the hangar (1.5 hours each way) was killing me and it was unheated to boot. Not good for being in Sanford, ME in the middle of February. So, the first airplane I ever owned is gone. :bawling:

Now off to the good stuff. I am real interested in building something fun to fly, with a stick, and it has to be metal (Working with fiberglass really bothers my skin). I figure that an RV would be the way to go, since it is a proven design (how many are out there now?) and there should be lots of support out there for them in the future. I have been to Vans site, and I must admit, the RV-3/4 looks really fun (No QB kit :(). The 8 would also be a blast. Does anyone own or have any experience building any of these airplanes? Does anyone have experience with BOTH the QB and non-QB kits? How about some good builders sites to take a look at.

I look forward to having something in my nice warm basement to work on when I get home from a 6 or 7 day tour. I like the concept of being able to put in 1 hour a night if that is all I feel like, and not having to drive myself all over New England!

I'm also looking for some of these in the Mass/New Hampshire area to take a look at. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Just found the "ready to pursue dream" thread. Lots of good info, but please add some more! :)

Last edited:
Great work, that machine is beautiful! How accurate is the 800-1200 build time that they quote?

I guess if you stuck to a vanilla model, no bells or whistles, 1200 would be close - but I have about 1800 hours build time in mine (fast build, non-evo wings) - I have a great deal of cockpit sytem integration (all HOTAS), dual electrical bus, autopilot, EFIS, TACS, TXPDR, VHF Comms (2), I/C, fuel computer, auto scanning EGT and CHT, smoke...about 900 ft of wiring in all. Systems account for the difference, probably 500 hours in the electrics/radios/systems.

Honestly, for a first time builder, I think I will stick with a "traditional RV". I still have not chosen a particular model, however.

UAL, did you go with the QB or standard kit?

Undies - Are you using the IO-540-C4B5 from an old Aztec, or did you go new?

I guess step #1 is to start setting up shop. Any suggestions. I already have plenty of sheet metal tools (always looking for more :beer: )and equipment (floor sheers, finger brakes, etc). I guess that I am asking you what you wished you had done with the shop before you started building, but did not.

Thanks guys.

I have a new IO540-K from Bart LaLonde at Aerosport Power (Kamloops, BC). All new, ported, polished, balanced, blueprinted, Vetterman 6-into-2 exhaust, lightweight starter, alternator and dual lightspeed electronic ignition. Dyno'd at 330HP, unblown (I'm looking into a supercharger package right now). 2000 lbs MTOW...

YEEE-HAAA!

5000 FPM, 125 secs to 10,000'

Why a supercharger? Big Dog stuff. One day, you'll understand. Re the workshop thing, 10' longer and 10' wider.

Last edited:
That's awsome. But cmon, a supercharger??!! :eek:

Are you planning on doing a routine at some shows with that machine, or just fun on the days off? What's the best climb rate you have seen thus far?

Latest resources

Back