• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor: SWA to announce DEN pilot bases tomorrow 1/31/12

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't compare the two groups. Who knows? Would a no vote have anything to do with a DEN base announcement?

In Mecca for training and had several chief pilots on the shuttle to the hotel....said there might be an announcement soon....they had thought it would be yesterday but some second guessing was going on.....Sounds like SWAPA recommended DEN or LAX.

In Mecca for training and had several chief pilots on the shuttle to the hotel....said there might be an announcement soon....they had thought it would be yesterday but some second guessing was going on.....Sounds like SWAPA recommended DEN or LAX.

SWAPA recommended Denver...not LAX.

From Steve's executive blog:

Much is a-buzz about the new domicile and its location. I believe the announcement will be made soon and we can evaluate the dynamics of the new base and the effects it will have on line construction, commuters and manning. DEN and LAX have been in the top three for some time. However, we'll have to see which direction the Company chooses. After evaluating current and projected schedules along with where our pilots live and may want to move, SWAPA has made a recommendation for Denver versus LAX as our data shows non-commuter bases to be more productive. With the push from upper management on productivity, we are hopeful that Denver will be the choice. Any time a new domicile is announced it inevitably brings with it some trepidation for the subsequent fall out in the other bases. Looking ahead and with past displacement issues being of a concern to not only our displaced pilots, but also SWAPA, I trust the Company to adequately staff our newest domiciles in a way that mitigates unneeded displacement and movement around the system. Stay tuned.

Is it strange that swapa would have a recommendation??
The Denver and LAX bases fulfill two different needs for the airline... I just found that odd-

You are thinking Eagle, which 75's do go into on a regular basis. I was Aspen qual'ed at a previous airline. The issue is the box canyon that any kind of missed approach to the landing runway can be a hairy situation to say the least, especially SE....The best plane for the job in ASE is the Q400. Too bad we didn't buy anyone who had those....
The best plane was the AVRO/BAE146... too bad they have all been sent back to Europe. As for what's left, the best plane is one of the modern Learjets, followed by a Gulfstream. I suppose if you are talking airliner then yea a Q 400 is the most practical still in service. the CR7's are a joke that Skywest uses. Nothing like a 50% load factor max (we did the same nonsense into HHH with the Saab, what a joke)

Cause what SWAPA says is so important to SWA when they decide to make base plans...

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. The SWAPA statement was a waste of resources. They don't care what SWAPA thinks and they don't care what Flight Ops thinks. None of decision makers at SWA are or ever have been line pilots. The descision makers are GO people and Ground Ops. They will make a descision, Col. Magill will execute that decision, and the rest of us will live with that decision.

Latest resources

Back