• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor: SWA to announce DEN pilot bases tomorrow 1/31/12

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dont worry about flying to Hawaii. Hawaiian Airlines( with there 15 aircraft) are going to clean your guys clock over at Southwest.
I am not sure why SWA even would want to take on Hawaiian Airlines and the fire power they have.

Dan R back me up, you more than anyone hate SWA .

You are not doing a very good job of hiding the fact that you are a SWA pilot trying to make DAL/RJ's look bad.

Per Title X of the Pitkin County Code, the airport has several unique operating limitations.Aircraft weight is restricted to 100,000 pounds (45,000 kg) maximum certificated gross landing weight or less.

Vixin,

I was looking at that last night and laughed. I have been in and out of ASE so much that you always cross your T's and dot your I's. It's a landing limit. The G5 I think has a 99 foot wing span. I bet if the numbers work per TERPs, aircraft AFM, wing waiver the 717, it would do fine. But don't fly the airplane, so don't know.

The second segment climb gradient is not a issue unless it is IMC, Eng Ice on, heavy and tailwind on take off. Most large airplanes can make it. If it is a pretty VMC day just request a vmc climb under a IFR flight plan. Bang a eng fly down the valley at a 1.6 vmc climb go to EGE or Rifle (vmc only). If winds aloft are low and turn radius works, just turn around. If the 717 started doing flying like this and places like KSUN, hell I would go bid it. It would make flying fun again.

The wingspan issue with the taxiway can probably be waived. They have a similar limit with the Q400 going in to Sun Valley and simply have an empty taxiway when they land. Problem solved... All that being said Aspen is pretty tight for an 8000 foot runway. I also really enjoy flying there on clear calm days!

The 717 is a good airplane for many things. High performance climb is not one of them. Descending like a stone is something it does well. Like a previous poster wrote "small wing". It's far better than the DC-9. But have you ever tried jumpseating on an MD80 out of RNO? The minute they have an alternate to DFW there pulling pax off. The wingspan is not an issue, it's only about 93 ft. AT already operates several aircraft with the normal power engines. They started that when we began KDEN service. I think range and payload would be a big issue out of Aspen if it can do it at all. Also the brakes get very warm quickly on that airplane especially at high altitudes. All together making for a poor operational fit.

The 717 is a good airplane for many things. High performance climb is not one of them. Descending like a stone is something it does well. Like a previous poster wrote "small wing". It's far better than the DC-9. But have you ever tried jumpseating on an MD80 out of RNO? The minute they have an alternate to DFW there pulling pax off. The wingspan is not an issue, it's only about 93 ft. AT already operates several aircraft with the normal power engines. They started that when we began KDEN service. I think range and payload would be a big issue out of Aspen if it can do it at all. Also the brakes get very warm quickly on that airplane especially at high altitudes. All together making for a poor operational fit.

As far as the range, we just hop over to DEN and connect the pax to where they need to go. less than 30 min. Bumpy ride in the winter though.

It's alot of hops to get the plane from ATL to DEN. Tampa and Atlanta are the only bases right ;-) It would be cool to see if the plane could handle it. But you just couldn't quick turn the brakes, seriously.

- throw an 18 hour over night in there and now we're talking!

Last edited:
You are not doing a very good job of hiding the fact that you are a SWA pilot trying to make DAL/RJ's look bad.

Your the only one here making DAL look bad. Besides am I the only one here who has no idea what this guy is talking about? DAL/RJ? Why do you keep spouting about this fictitious grudge that SWA guys hold? I have been flying a lot lately and the worst comment ive heard about DAL in the cockpit is "I wish this guy would turn off his strobes". Take your manifesto elsewhere cause we aint buyin.

Latest resources

Back