• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor: SWA to announce DEN pilot bases tomorrow 1/31/12

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, last I heard 75's go in there so I don't think the windspan limitation is the issue, My understanding is it's the SE climb gradient but I admit, I'm just a dumb pilot!!!

Don't know one thing about the SE climb gradient (or 2 engine for that matter) of the 71...that's my question...Gross weight is irrelevant...You just limit the # of pax...That can be done anywhere...Check EYW when it's wet!

Thanks for the replies!

Later,
KBB

MTOW for a 717 is 120,000 lbs, not 110,000. The wing is the main issue on that airplane. It's short and not nearly as efficient as the 737. As far as power goes though, it's a little rocket when operating without restrictions. Dunno about limitations operating into high altitude cities though.

Well, last I heard 75's go in there so I don't think the windspan limitation is the issue, My understanding is it's the SE climb gradient but I admit, I'm just a dumb pilot!!!

Don't know one thing about the SE climb gradient (or 2 engine for that matter) of the 71...that's my question...Gross weight is irrelevant...You just limit the # of pax...That can be done anywhere...Check EYW when it's wet!

Thanks for the replies!

Later,
KBB

You are thinking Eagle, which 75's do go into on a regular basis. I was Aspen qual'ed at a previous airline. The issue is the box canyon that any kind of missed approach to the landing runway can be a hairy situation to say the least, especially SE....The best plane for the job in ASE is the Q400. Too bad we didn't buy anyone who had those....

Thanks for the replies!

Later,
KBB

As far as I know there has never been a 757 in ASE. The locals have been seriously on point in restricting large airline aircraft operations in there and as a result have to deal with Skywest CRJ-700/900's. Eagle is a different story as it's down-valley.

MTOW for a 717 is 120,000 lbs, not 110,000. The wing is the main issue on that airplane. It's short and not nearly as efficient as the 737. As far as power goes though, it's a little rocket when operating without restrictions. Dunno about limitations operating into high altitude cities though.

The basic model B717 has a 110,000 lb MGW, the high gross weight version has 120,000. Nearly all of the operational restrictions at ASE are due to OEI climb gradients. A 737-700 would have to severely limit loads to get out of there - if it could be done at all (my OPT got corrupted a while back or I would check). I'd also be incredibly uneasy flying a 4.6° descent path to land on a 7000 ft (now 8000) runway at 7800 ft elevation.

Ok, Probably wrong airport, Like I admitted up front, I'm just a dumb pilot...

Thanks for all the responses!!! I know nothing about flying into Aspen or Eagle and I prefer to keep it that way... I have no desire to fly to Hawaii either but if the company is going to make Boatloads of cash, I'm all for it! just my prerogative, nothing against any of those places!!!

Thanks again,
KBB

Thanks for all the responses!!! I know nothing about flying into Aspen or Eagle and I prefer to keep it that way... I have no desire to fly to Hawaii either but if the company is going to make Boatloads of cash, I'm all for it! just my prerogative, nothing against any of those places!!!

Thanks again,
KBB

You may be thinking about Vail. I have flown a 75 into that airport many moons ago.

Thanks again,
KBB

Dont worry about flying to Hawaii. Hawaiian Airlines( with there 15 aircraft) are going to clean your guys clock over at Southwest.
I am not sure why SWA even would want to take on Hawaiian Airlines and the fire power they have.

Dan R back me up, you more than anyone hate SWA .

The fact that all the intelligent rumors are pointing to the DEN crew base is precisely why it can't be there.

Per Title X of the Pitkin County Code, the airport has several unique operating limitations.Aircraft weight is restricted to 100,000 pounds (45,000 kg) maximum certificated gross landing weight or less.

717-200
Basic Gross Weight 717-200 Cockpit crew Two Passengers, typical seating 106 (two-class) 117 (one-class) Length 124 ft 0 in (37.8 m) Wingspan 93 ft 5 in (28.47 m) Tail height 29 ft 1 in (8.92 m) Cabin width, external 131.6 in (334.2 cm) Cabin width, internal 123.8 in (314.5 cm) Max takeoff weight 110,000 lb (49,900 kg)

Latest resources

Back