Rumor re: NJA domiciles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NJApilot

I heard a rumor (yes, only rumor) that NJA management was reconsidering its domicile basing policy for new hires. Has anyone else heard this rumor, or have anything add that is related to this (preferably from a CREDIBLE source)? The rumor has it that the company is having a problem with keeping people on the property after they get their type training.

Again, just a rumor....Wondering if anyone else has heard this one?

Njapilot, I heard the same thing. What I heard that they saw a drop in qualifications and have tapped out the CMH/LAX market, and that is why they have now opened up all of the domiciles to new hires. Again, just a rumor, but I heard they are thinking about a system like our former Gateway system.

Frankly, after the vast contract improvements, the domicile issue is now the only one that keeps me from applying there. I hope it changes.

Raskal said:
Frankly, after the vast contract improvements, the domicile issue is now the only one that keeps me from applying there. I hope it changes.

I would apply now because if it changes(next contract),there will be a waiting list..You can stand on your head for 4 years can't ya? Just my two cents..

How could they change it until the current contract expires, which is in 3 to 4 years. Believe it when you see it.

greygoose said:
How could they change it until the current contract expires, which is in 3 to 4 years. Believe it when you see it.

LOA (Letter of Agreement) with the Union, is what I heard.

I believe that AT LEAST 30% of the pilt force must be allowed Home Basing. I do not think the company is RESTRICTED to that number.

They could unilaterally increase the HBA percentage to say 100%.... Or they could open MORE domiciles.

In negotiating the contract I believe HBAs for everyone was what the Union wanted but we were unwilling to give up anything for it in the negotiations. The thinking was that the DOMICILE plan would backfire on the other side and that eventually the Domicile policy would need to be liberalized.

It will be interesting to see if the liberalization occurs less than 12 months after the CBA was ratified.

Bebop is correct - here is the contract section that deals with opening new domicles.

13.2(c) Domestic Domicile Openings and Closings

The Company may open new Domiciles at its discretion, however, a Crewmember assigned to, or who has designated a Domicile, cannot be involuntarily assigned to a different or new Domicile, except as may be provided elsewhere in this Agreement. The Company agrees to provide 90 days written notice of new Domicile openings to the Union and all crewmembers. The notice to the crewmembers may be sent via the
Company-issued communications devices.

I personally have not heard any rumors to the effect of new domicle openings and am skeptical that they would voluntarily give up that bargining chip for the next round of negotiations (hint: its a big one). They dont seem to have any shortage of applicants from what I saw at CMH FSI over the last couple months. I hope that the rumors are true for the sake of those who now commute to work though.

Last edited:
greygoose said:

Point of order: CBAs under the RLA become "amendable" and never "expire". This factoid was said to be the great equalizer for the fact that RLA employees cannot strike without NMB approval.

NLRA can strike whenever and their employers can lock them out as well immediately without NMB approval.

"They" can't change anything (labor or management) without negotiating and/or allowing the pilots to vote. You can believe that through the collective bargaining process, the Union will be seeking something in exchange for the company getting the nod to change the basing system.

To date there are still some issue left unfinished in contract implementation... I'm sure 1108 will direct the company where we need some loving. :rolleyes:

In this particular case, the opening and closing of DOMs is allowed by the contract so no negotiating is necessary.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back