Rumor re: NJA domiciles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Twotter76 said:
They dont seem to have any shortage of applicants from what I saw at CMH FSI over the last couple months. I hope that the rumors are true for the sake of those who now commute to work though.

Yeah... but are we hring the calibre of pilot we NEED here? Almost everyday here is unplanned chaos that works out becasue of experience and skill.

I'm just posing a question... Are we getting the ripest tomatoes off the vine or are we being forced to pick a several that aren't quite ready yet.

Seems like a pretty dangerous game for the company to play over a few dollars more.

gunfyter said:
I believe that AT LEAST 30% of the pilt force must be allowed Home Basing. I do not think the company is RESTRICTED to that number.

quote]

Wrong.

13.1(b)

The Company may limit Crewmember participation in the Home Base Airport system to thirty (30) percent of total number of Crewmembers on the most current seniority list, including crewmembers who have relinquished Home Base Airport rights pursuant to section 13.2(b).Such percentage may be less than thirty (30) if crewmembers designate Domiciles, or more than thirty (30) percent because of grandfather rights as defined in Section 13.1(a).

Can only be above 30 percent because of the grandfathered pilots on property prior to contract.

Yes I did.

Nothing restricts the company from having more than 30% HBA... IN THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH.

If the company chooses to restrict HBAs to 30% ... there still may be more than 30% because of those of us grandfathered in to HBAs. -- This is the situation that exists today.

Nothing says the company may NOT allow more than 30% on HBA.

Last edited:
Additionally:

13.2(c)(iv)

In the event the Company closes a Domicile, any crewmember using

the Domicile at the time of closure may continue to use the airport as his HBA; provided that such airport qualifies as an HBA pursuant to Section 13.1(c). ....​

So if the company chose to close ALL the Domiciles. Effectively ending the Domicile program. 100% of the pilots would be HBA pilots.​

What stops the company from closing all domiciles?​

Last edited:
gunfyter said:
Yes I did.

Nothing restricts the company from having more than 30% HBA... IN THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH.

If the company chooses to restrict HBAs to 30% ... there still may be more than 30% because of those of us grandfathered in to HBAs. -- This is the situation that exists today.

Nothing says the company may NOT allow more than 30% on HBA.

Such percentage may be less than thirty (30) if crewmembers designate Domiciles, or more than thirty (30) percent because of grandfather rights as defined in Section 13.1(a).

So what does this mean? It can be below 30% if more than 70% of the pilots are domicile based and dont use hba. It can only be above 30% because of the grandfathered pilots.

FLYLOW22 said:
I'm just posing a question... Are we getting the ripest tomatoes off the vine or are we being forced to pick a several that aren't quite ready yet.

Judging by some of the comments coming from FSI sources and a few in the NJ training department, I think there is no question that the overall quality has gone down. This is not to in any way put down those that have been hired recently - but the fact is, NetJets has been extremely fortunate over the last 4-5 years to hire candidates with lots of jet experience and a high degree of training (ie, airlines and military). There is very little dispute over this, I think most will agree. With the added component of domicile basing, it has clearly cut down on the number of pilots who are interested in applying to NetJets. I'm sure that each and every one of us currently on property can name a few pilots that we know of personally that would like to work for us - and are highly qualified - but refuse, from the outset, to even apply because of the domicile restriction. It's a non-starter for many.

A higher percentage of the newhire pilots today are having problems during type school (even though FSI makes it almost impossible to fail), and more notably, are having problems during the transition to the line, including during IOE. As the training department re-tools to place NetJets instructors in the sims for LOFT training (post-type ride), I think we'll be hearing a lot more about the decreasing quality of the newhires and the problems that result from that in the training pipeline (can we say, "needs additional training"?). Again, this is not a put-down for those currently being hired....but the fact is, for many years, we've been hiring candidates with 6-7000 hrs TT (most of that in turbojet aircraft) and that level of experience really shows during NJA training.

If I had to guess, I would say that NJA will NOT ease the hiring restrictions until they absolutely have to....which may be months or years down the road.

I have not heard this rumor being discussed anymore over the last few days, so I'm guessing that maybe it is just another one of "those" rumors.

Also, to add to the discussion about the CBA language, my understanding is that the company can - on its own - allow as many pilots as it wants to use the HBA system of basing.

The company, on the other hand, CANNOT require more than 30% to use the domicile system. As we know, it will take a long time to reach the 30% threshold when you factor in the roughly 2200 (I think it is...just a guess) pilots currently using HBAs under the grandfather clause. Once we hit 30%, pilots in the domicile system can start bailing to HBAs.

My hope is that we will never have to reach that point, and the company will be forced to offer a better system for newhire basing. I also hope that it doesn't take an accident for the company to wake up and realize that we need to hire the absolute best this industry has to offer, in order to preserve our current level of safety and service.

Reading Between The Lines

be-400xpdriver said:
Such percentage may be less than thirty (30) if crewmembers designate Domiciles, or more than thirty (30) percent because of grandfather rights as defined in Section 13.1(a).

So what does this mean? It can be below 30% if more than 70% of the pilots are domicile based and dont use hba. It can only be above 30% because of the grandfathered pilots.

What does it mean? It means:
13.1(b)

The Company may limit Crewmember participation in the Home Base Airport system to thirty (30) percent of total number of Crewmembers on the most current seniority list, including crewmembers who have relinquished Home Base Airport rights pursuant to section 13.2(b).

IF THE COMPANY DOES ELECT TO LIMIT TO 30%

THEN:

BUT IF THE COMPANY DOES NOT LIMIT HBAs TO 30%... then there is NO LIMIT to the number of HBA pilots.

"May limit" does not = MUST limit

If you have board access please click this link

http://www.ibt1108.org/netjets/boards/showthread.php?t=16439&highlight=HBA+relief

Then let me know if we are still in disagreement.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back