• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor: Fedex getting USAir's 737s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the company would prefer the 757 but the issue is with in-trail spacing due to the "heavy" classification, which would significantly affect the launch and recovery, particularly in MEM.

brillig17 said:
I think the company would prefer the 757 but the issue is with in-trail spacing due to the "heavy" classification, which would significantly affect the launch and recovery, particularly in MEM.
Interesting point about the in-trail spacing, but why would the company prefer the 757 over another type?

Interesting point about the in-trail spacing, but why would the company prefer the 757 over another type?
Faster and significantly more lift capability than the 737.

I know TWAdude. I've flown with TWAdude. TWAdude is no rumor-monger. :D TC

73 Rumor

In my recollection, the 73's were on the table up until this summer when UAIR pulled out of it. We had a training team developing plans for early/mid 2005 inception. The standards folks wanted glass cockpits in order to ease the transition to HUDs (apparently all FedEx aircraft will get HUDs installed sometime this decade) but the bean counters thought it better to buy old steam, then pay later for glass and HUD conversion.
All this fell apart when UAIR pulled out of it. I can't imagine that we would go back to the trable w/ UAIR unless the deal had been significantly sweetened. Oh well, stranger things have happened.
As far as load capacity, the larger 73s can handle the weight, but not the volume of the ULDs like the 727 can. And they top out about .08 Mach slower. The 75 would be great for load and speed, but it wouldn't fit in the gates that we currently have for the 72 due to wingspan.
I have also heard the one about more busses, but as with everything around here, wait for the purple and orange paint...

P3tarbaby said:
Faster and significantly more lift capability than the 737.
Thanks!

LEROY said:
The 75 would be great for load and speed, but it wouldn't fit in the gates that we currently have for the 72 due to wingspan.
Ramp space is definitely a finite commodity. Hard to believe that a parking space could determine the choice of a new fleet, regardless of whether the bigger airplane makes more sense capability wise.

AA717driver said:
I know TWAdude. I've flown with TWAdude. TWAdude is no rumor-monger. TC
Good call, 717 dude. I'm certainly no monger. Definition: a person who attempts to stir up or spread something that is usually petty or discreditable. 737's are ugly but they're not petty.

Latest resources

Back