Rumor: Fedex getting USAir's 737s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TWA Dude

You heard it here first. My source heard it directly from a POI-type fed that Fedex will be acquiring USAir(ways') 737 fleet. No word on the disposition of the USA pilots but if history is any indicator my condolences go out to them.

(Note: I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of the above statement. I heard it, it came from a creditable source, and I repeated for the benefit of all who read here.)

TWA Dude said:
You heard it here first. My source heard it directly from a POI-type fed that Fedex will be acquiring USAir(ways') 737 fleet. No word on the disposition of the USA pilots but if history is any indicator my condolences go out to them.

(Note: I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of the above statement. I heard it, it came from a creditable source, and I repeated for the benefit of all who read here.)
First Fedex gets Delta's desert-bound MD-11s and now USAirways 737 fleet. Wow - Fedex is really cleaning up in these fire sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey, maybe this is good news for Fedex wannabes - especially those at battered airlines like USAirways, ATA, etc. Let's hope it happens....

No scoop

I hate to burst your scoop bubble but that rumor has been around for well over a year. Currently the rumor at FedEx is that we're not getting the 73s, from USAir or anybody else. But that is just flightline rumor. The general gist of the rumors here were that the bean counters wanted the old, high cycle -300s but the standards folks didn't want them. Then it appeared that the deal had fallen through anyway. Lately I've heard that perhaps its not dead after all, depending on the Zurich domicile. So you see, these are nice rumors but they are certainly not substantiated.

One thing is for sure though, we are buying the MD-11s from Delta, at least according to our company website and the press releases they put out. I've also heard rumors of some more Airbus 310s being bought from somebody, but don't know who. So the old wait until you see it on the property applies.

FJ

Falconjet said:
I hate to burst your scoop bubble but that rumor has been around for well over a year. Currently the rumor at FedEx is that we're not getting the 73s, from USAir or anybody else. But that is just flightline rumor. The general gist of the rumors here were that the bean counters wanted the old, high cycle -300s but the standards folks didn't want them. Then it appeared that the deal had fallen through anyway. Lately I've heard that perhaps its not dead after all, depending on the Zurich domicile. So you see, these are nice rumors but they are certainly not substantiated.

One thing is for sure though, we are buying the MD-11s from Delta, at least according to our company website and the press releases they put out. I've also heard rumors of some more Airbus 310s being bought from somebody, but don't know who. So the old wait until you see it on the property applies.

FJ
Yeah but maybe USAirways is really ready to do a deal now more than ever - USAirways' position was not as precarious a year back as it is now... Time to do some deals to bring in much needed cash.... I doubt USAirways wants to keep the 737s.

Who would want to buy them. They're pretty old airframes and with fuel at $50/bb ,they aren't as economical as they were a year ago.

PHXFLYR:cool:

With oil at $50 a barrell Fred would take the 73's in a heartbeat...how much fuel do you think those 72's are chugging??????

Fred loves old airframes too. Buy them cheap, ride'm hard and put them up wet. Plus we always find a way to "zero out" the airframe somehow (aka MD10)

I have always put my money ( i do gamble a little, i live in Vegas) on the 73's over the 75's for replacing the 72's. Logistically they would just fit better on the ramp...size wise. The 75's have a much bigger wing span and are longer so they would take up too much ramp space. AND WE NEED ALL THE RAMP SPACE WE CAN GET with the new MD's from Delta coming and all the 73's on the way!

When its Puple-n-Orange then I'll smile:)

Last edited:
Guys, Guys, Guys (and Gals),

You have it all wrong. Mesa is going to take over the US Airways 737 fleet. Captain jobs up for grabs, $70.00 per hour.

Latest I heard is that we are looking a group of 737s from a foreign airline. I cant remember which. Apparently they are newer than the Delta/US Air 737s.

Latest I heard was that the European Domacile was going to be an MD-11 base. Also that we had acquired some Korean MD-11's as they are switching to an all 747 fleet. And that we were working on a Varig(sp) MD-11 deal.

Once again, I will believe it when it is on the ramp.

So Korean is going all whales? I believe they have 4 or so MD-11's, wonder how long it will be before FDX has all the rest of the PAX MD-11's still flying. Wonder what FinnAir's plan is?

Latest resources

Back