Rumor at ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maddog2020

Don't know if there is any truth to it but, I heard some talk today(you know scott hall came into my class.....etc) that Delta is going to try and charge jumpseaters. ASA, SKYWEST...etc pilots would be charged but not folks offline like SW or Fed EX pilots. The word is they are doing this so pilots cant bypass the pass charges when they travel.
Thoughts?

It would almost be worth it if we could hit the FEDS up!!!

Don't know if there is any truth to it but, I heard some talk today(you know scott hall came into my class.....etc) that Delta is going to try and charge jumpseaters. ASA, SKYWEST...etc pilots would be charged but not folks offline like SW or Fed EX pilots. The word is they are doing this so pilots cant bypass the pass charges when they travel.
Thoughts?

BS, BS and more BS

I believe American has a system where no AA or Eagle pilot may sign up for the jumpseat unless there are no cabin seats open. This is to prevent pilots from bypassing paying for the flight.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Delta do the same, even though it will breed bad blood between the two pilot groups.

I heard this also and think it it total bullshi*. I think that if you ride the jump seat, why should you get charged for it? Total crap. If another carrier pilot can do it for free, why can't we? I guess I will be just jumping on United, Frontier or AirTran. Hmm always a way around some bs crap that Delta comes up with.

Go ahead, Delta, keep pushing us. You're going to be getting a lot of sick calls from Florida when your pilots can't get to work. Good luck with that staffing situation.

I believe American has a system where no AA or Eagle pilot may sign up for the jumpseat unless there are no cabin seats open. This is to prevent pilots from bypassing paying for the flight.
quote]

That is true... AMR loves pilots.

Even worse, Eagle pilots with less than 5 years senority have to pay to non-rev on Eagle flights.

Last edited:
It is not that Delta is attempting to charge jumpseaters on mainline, it is more of a glitch with the software.

Here's how it goes:

SkyWest and ASA are the first to go to a mileage based fee (other DCI's to follow) for non-rev travel.

When a SkyWest/ASA pilot checks in with a J/S request the computer will have them in the cockpit J/S....no fee.

If the flight is NOT full, or there are multiple J/S requests, the gate agent will move the pilot to a cabin seat and and then the computer will put you on the non rev STBY list according to your PPR number (something a FedEx, or AA pilot does not have). When you are added to the STBY list you are automatically a "non-rev" and no longer a jumpseater.......therefore you will be charged for the flight.

Delta is supposedly working on a fix to this so that if a jumpseat request is made the non rev charge is deleted.

As long as you are riding in the cockpit jumpseat you will not be charged currently (as of Dec 04th when the fees apply).

It is not that Delta is attempting to charge jumpseaters on mainline, it is more of a glitch with the software.

Here's how it goes:

SkyWest and ASA are the first to go to a mileage based fee (other DCI's to follow) for non-rev travel.

When a SkyWest/ASA pilot checks in with a J/S request the computer will have them in the cockpit J/S....no fee.

If the flight is NOT full, or there are multiple J/S requests, the gate agent will move the pilot to a cabin seat and and then the computer will put you on the non rev STBY list according to your PPR number (something a FedEx, or AA pilot does not have). When you are added to the STBY list you are automatically a "non-rev" and no longer a jumpseater.......therefore you will be charged for the flight.

Delta is supposedly working on a fix to this so that if a jumpseat request is made the non rev charge is deleted.

As long as you are riding in the cockpit jumpseat you will not be charged currently (as of Dec 04th when the fees apply).

This makes much more sense to me...As a Jumpseater, you are considered part of the crew, right? Would you like to pay a fee in order to work?
(I guess some people do that in South-Florida mmmh.... but that's another problem!)

Latest resources

Back