• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor: Alaska eyeing US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You hardly would have the cash to "buy" HAL. Hawaiian has a very strong balance sheet, about 400 million in cash on hand. I don't think AK would want to use up all their available cash to purchase a bigger share of the Hawaii market. Interesting to note though, the largest shareholder in Hawaiian is.... Fidelity Investments.. So I don't discount the possibility of anything can happen with the stock. I don't see our push into Asia and our Airbuses being much of match to AK.

The other thing to consider, much of what makes us successful in the Hawaii market is the fact that we are Hawaiian. I know it's a cliche' but people really do feel like they are in Hawaii when they board us as opposed to waiting till the end of the flight. We have a very loyal and large passenger base that could go away if another name is painted on the side of the airplane and non local people staffed them.

Dan,

My comment was meant "tongue-in-cheek". My hope and belief is that we won't be merging with anyone anytime soon.

CP

Yeah! I heard the same rumors from my cousin gardener al robaski, up- state new york, That Alaska will merge with Usairways, Keep the name (USAIRWAYS) and USAPA will staple every alaska pilot to bottom. :laugh:

Impossible. USAPA's Constitution and Bylaws require DOH integrations with Conditions and Restrictions to protect BOTH sides. No one will ever get "stapled" by USAPA.

Dan,

My comment was meant "tongue-in-cheek". My hope and belief is that we won't be merging with anyone anytime soon.

CP

No worries, I did see the little smily face. I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you. The bottom line is none of us wants to merge with anyone. Most of them end up screwing the employees and making a few people rich.
Personally I think both Hawaiian and Alaska will benefit the most from everyone else merging and reducing the amount of airlines. We both have a pretty good product that passengers seem to like and it seems to me we can both do just fine alone.

Impossible. USAPA's Constitution and Bylaws require DOH integrations with Conditions and Restrictions to protect BOTH sides. No one will ever get "stapled" by USAPA.

Small problem. The Sc?? A-Holes that run USAPA are the single and solitary resource for determining what is a "fair" Condition and Restriction.

No Thanks. I'll stick with a neutral 3rd party and binding arbitration any day. Excuse my lack of confidence in the altruistic nature of your AFOC. Also, Alaska is ALPA. They are legally bound to honor the Nic. award. Not to worry though, Alaska wouldn't touch US Air with a billion foot pole.

That would be a GREAT combo. Enjoy that! It will be so much fun for someone to buy a ticket from Fayetteville, NC to Charlotte on Alaska Air. Those hillbillies will ask "Hey Pervis, are we flyin that Eskimo lookin Hillary Clinton plane again?" Oh wait, Alaska WANTS to change it's name to USAir? Great plan, stan. And a change in control would give those Easties a 50% raise. Sounds like a great start.

Bye Bye--General Lee

2 things GL...

That post was kinda funny, but I'm surprised you didn't work "LBB" in there somewhere...

Also, I thought the pic on the Alaska tails was a pic of a US Air Flight Attendant...

Anyway... carry on...

Hers's some rumor fodder. A little birdie said Alaska is eyeing US Airways again. The problem is the East pay snap back.
The problem isn't the snap back, but the East period.

Alaska would be committing the same error AWA did by buying into that problem. Best to do like DAL did with PanAm, buy them after they go bankrupt then pick up the pieces.

The only pieces worth anything are east! I totally agree with you! Dump the dead weight in Phoenix- it never was worth anything anyway.

The only pieces worth anything are east! I totally agree with you! Dump the dead weight in Phoenix- it never was worth anything anyway.

It was worth enough to save your sorry, twice bankrupt a$$es. That's a little fact that keeps slipping the attention of some AFOC members.

Latest resources

Back