Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Robert Crandall's response to an AA pilot.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My concern in all this AA stuff is that by being aggressive, the union pilots might lose their jobs. of course the union bosses won't lose theirs

I think the APA is a complete disaster and does nothing but disservice to its members, but still, your comment makes no sense whatsoever. If the AMR pilots lose their jobs, then the so-called "union bosses" are also AMR pilots, and they too lose their jobs. There is no scenario where the rank and file pilots lose their jobs but the APA honchos don't. The two are one and the same.

Sure, you can use "industry average" rates... So long as CEO's and senior management are paid similarly to other airlines, which include the same "peer group" airlines that the pilots are being compared to, including bankrupt airlines, smaller airlines such as Allegiant and Virgin America, etc., and using total compensation, including stock options, etc.

I have always found it disingenuous for senior management with compensation in the multi-millions of dollars which runs through several BILLION dollars of capital and runs a company that is operating on a bankruptcy-era contract into bankruptcy again themselves, to then ask labor for further reductions when they are not willing to reduce their compensation similarly.

When a CEO gets to walk away from a "successful" bankruptcy reorganization with millions in shares of new stock and labor walks away with pay cuts, it seems clear something is wrong with the system.

Bingo seconded!...so true. Sadly is this what they teach in business schools now? Take from those have-nots to line your own pocket.
MBA's are a dime-a-dozen in my book and have too much power in america.

I think the APA is a complete disaster and does nothing but disservice to its members, but still, your comment makes no sense whatsoever. If the AMR pilots lose their jobs, then the so-called "union bosses" are also AMR pilots, and they too lose their jobs. There is no scenario where the rank and file pilots lose their jobs but the APA honchos don't. The two are one and the same.

Oops, you are right. I was in a hurry and was thinking about ALPA. Cheers!

And you're still wrong. ALPA is no different. If an ALPA carrier goes out of business, the ALPA leaders at that airline lose their jobs right along with the rank and file.

G4, We all started this career thinking a ALPA carrier seniority number was the golden ring. The industry went through hell and it didn't work out as planned for a lot of pilots. It wasn't ALPA's fault.
You obviously had to settle for a corporate job instead of the airline career you started out pursuing. You sound very bitter and envious towards airline pilots. You are coming across as an angry spiteful wannabe.
Cheers!

If American is to succeed in the years ahead, it must pay wages and benefits, and operate using work rules, which produce labor costs equivalent to or – while American gets itself back on track – lower than those of its major competitors. In the long run, no successful service company can offer compensation and working conditions that are materially different than those of its competitors

So is he saying that as long as AA pays Southwest, Fedex, and UPS like wages that the company will do just fine???

No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying that AA needs to compensate each employee group competatively as they are at DAL and UAL, the only really remaining legacy carriers. What UPS and FedEx do, as well as SWA, are completely different business models that AA. Heck, UAL tried to compete with SWA ... do you remember "TED" ... didn't work. DAL, UAL and AA are not freight companies, they are worldwide legacy carriers that carry people and since they have failed to compete with the likes of SWA, Alaska and others domestically they have to compete with the other legacy carrier at home as well as BA, Air France, Emirates, Luthansa, KLM, Singapore, Cathay, QUANTAS and a host of other internationally.

Simply put, if they don't compete, they won't exist. In 1978 the US industry was deregulated and that was the end of the golden era of cockpit employment. Might as well face it. It's been a down hill ride ever since.

TransMach

Latest resources

Back