Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Robert Crandall's response to an AA pilot.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
didn't the UAAL pilots sell their stock to take a profit and gave up control?

180 degrees off, do your own research gramps.

Bring up the bird has good points on the Internet-

Myself and others have also been on here preaching the necessity of flattening out the earning curve in our profession. End-loaded compensation is not only dumb bc of the time value of money- but also bc of the competitive pressure that having a topped out senior work force puts a company in if they make it that far once created or between bankruptcies-
Crandall points out that the Bscales were all about dealing with junior upstarts
And he's recommending a restart again bc of this same factor.
A flattened pay scale industry wide would prevent the seniority induced disadvantage

If you want an explanation to this question watch the first video, of start at about :18 minute, about 3 minutes you will have the answer and keys to the treasure chest....

Right from Crandalls mouth:

http://vimeo.com/6705165

This should be required viewing for every line pilot in the world.

Like I said, I simply want management to share in the success and, conversely, the failure of the airline in the same way they expect US to.

I don't know ANY capitalistic system that's successful, LONG-TERM, whereby mismanagement is rewarded by INCREASING salaries and bonuses. That kind of system usually implodes upon itself, but our bankruptcy system continues to support it. That's not true capitalism in its strictest sense, it's a perversion of it that can't last long-term.

Then again, these managers aren't thinking long-term. They're thinking make money off the stock, take their gains, and go to some other private sector that pays even more. Crandall is one of the few examples of a long-term executive in the same company, and I'd be curious what he'd have to say, off the record, about the lack of profitability of American over the last 15 years when they've had, arguably, some of the lowest labor costs due to their 2003 restructuring.

Yip, did you see how far that contract proposal was from any other competitor-
When is mgmt responsible for their actions in your world?
According to YIP?

Never. At least, I've never heard him admit to anything even resembling acknowledgment that, at a Legacy carrier, management deserves the brunt of the blame of their lack of success.

Many other Legacy carriers have managed to be successful with even higher labor costs (not just pilots, but labor across the board) than American, at least SOME years out of the last 15. AA has consistently LOST money, almost EVERY year, and sometimes 3-4 TIMES as much money as their competitors, but with LOWER labor costs.

Again, you can't blame labor for their problems when labor costs are ALREADY below their peers in most cases... But YIP won't acknowledge that. ;)

Yip, did you see how far that contract proposal was from any other competitor-
When is mgmt responsible for their actions in your world?
Hi wavy long time no trade barbs. So your point is? Management makes an offer, pilots accept or reject. Then management makes a decision to continue operation or fold. Sounds pretty simple. I go back to something posted before, if pilots have all the answers to run the perfect airline, how come no one has set forth to make that move? Could it be that plan could not attract any captial to become a start up?

BTW: Management is always responsible fro their actions, the same as unions.

180 degrees off, do your own research gramps.
then how did they loose control? don't have to do any research, you sound like a good source of knowledge

According to YIP? Never. At least, I've never heard him admit to anything even resembling acknowledgment that, at a Legacy carrier, management deserves the brunt of the blame of their lack of success. ;)
So mangment is at fault at DAL/NWA, USAirways, CAL/UAL for saving 10,000's of pilot jobs by taking their companies into BK to save them? Was that not a success story?

BTW: I agree that there is much to be desired in management leadership, but they are doing their job as directed by the Board of Directors. Now if pilots really wanted to fix this buy the controlling stock and take over the company like Lorenzo did back in the 70's and 80's

Last edited:
Yip, I don't think pilots advocate running an airline. Since they are invested for a career in their airline, they demand accountability and to be treated fairly. Too many times they have seen management abuse the employees, line their pockets then bail....Tilton comes to mind. Your airline is a stepping stone or final stop to those at the end of their careers so it can't really be compared.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back