RJDC update 8/20/02

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi there FlyingSig,

Thanks for the detailed defense. If you read the third sentence of the first paragraph in my original reply to your post, you will note that I acknowledge the applicability of Section 1.E.5. You are correct about that and I never challenged it.

What I tried to point out and, you either missed or bypassed, was that there are two "triggers" in your contract either of which can remove the block hour ratios and restrictions. Which one you "prefer" is academic; both apply. One of them is the profitability that you focus on. The other is circumstance beyond the control per Section 1.E.6. Both apply jointly and severally.

I understand that many of you do not accept the applicability of force majeure as it relates to furloughs or to anything else. You are entitled to that opinion. However, the arbitrator has ruled against that opinion and until he reverses that ruling it does apply. While you have sought to revese his ruling, currently it remains in place.

It happens that the Company's lack of profitability does void some of your Scope restrictions, however if the company had continued to be profitable, force majeure would also have voided those provisions. That was my point and it was also the RJDC's point. It is not a false statement as you allege. You are as mistaken about this as you were about the furlough issue when you filed the grievance.

Yes, I know that your MEC has not "officially announced" its reasons for withdrawing the block hour grievance. That however is not unusual or particularly significant. Only a minimum of political savoir faire allows reasonable speculation as to why a grievance alleging violation of Section 1.E. was withdrawn.

I accept your premise that lack of profitablity is now more relavant than FM as it applies to the Scope restrictions. That doesn't make the statement false.

Your reference to loss of money from successful litigation is out of line. Yes, I am a strong supporter of the RJDC but I am not a listed litigant. Therefore, I will receive no monies personally regardless of the outcome. There is literally nothing whatever that I personally can gain from any of this. My motivation is not personal want, need or expectation of any kind (and yes, that includes your "list").

Your presumption that the RJDC litigants or supporters are motivated by money is misguided. I suspect it is a symptom of your personal situation and the erroneous belief prevalent among furloughed Delta pilots that RJs are somehow related to your furlough. They are not. While difficult to prove directly, the evidence clearly and overwhelmingly indicates that many more of you would be furloughed if the RJs did not exist. Your crusade against them is as detrimental to you as it is to us.

As for the RJDC, the fact is that the litigation has so far had no direct impact whatever on any Delta pilot. What it has done is temporarily restrain both ALPA and the DMEC from further predatory attempts in the near term. However, I have little doubt that as soon as the other circumstances permit, ALPA and you will once more attempt to limit what we do or engage in some other predatory and discriminatory behavior. ALPA is doing that now on other properties.

It is unfortunate that most of you won't accept that ALPA's and your MEC's actions or lack thereof are the cause of the conflicts that now exist. Many of you appear bent on pursuing and advocating continued conflict rather than seeking avenues to resolve the conflicts of interest. I can't tell you what to do, but I can and do tell you that your leader's actions are not in the best interests of Delta pilots. Particularly those that are currently furloughed.

With respect to your contract, I have a copy, have read it more than once and refer to it before positing. I'll continue to do that and yes, I do have a "good working knowledge" of your PWA that I would venture is at the very least equal to yours. Obviously, it doesn't avoid different interpretations of what it means or we would not be having this discussion, would we? I guess when we disagree on what it means, we will just have to agree to disagree.

One final but very important item. The inference that I would try to rub your furlough in your face troubles me greatly. I write a great deal on this and related issues in this forum and others. I have always expressed empathy with furlughed pilots and wished for their rapid return to work, provided it is not at another pilot's expense. Anyone who reads what I write knows that. I have been furloughed myself and I know what its financial and emotional impact means. It would never occur to me to wish bad fortune on another pilot, no matter how much we may disagree. The accusation is unwarranted, FlyingSig. Please do not allow your frustrations, whatever they may be, to cloud your judgment.

You may think that what I support and what I'm against in some way might keep you furloughed longer. There is no such intent. On the contrary, if what I would like to see happen were to take place, you would in fact be returned to work far sooner than you will be by maintaing the status quo with respect to the relationship between Delta and Comair pilots. If your group would work with us instead of against us, both of us could benefit greatly. If we have the collective will to do something constructive together, this sordid mess could be changed to a win/win situation for all concerned. Think about it.

I wish you the very best and a speedy return.

Surplus1
CMR

JohnDoe said:
Can somebody post the monetary damages that the rjdc is seeking from ALPA in it lawsuit........thanks

Go to their web site rjdefense.com and you can read everything you want to know there. The lawsuit itself is published on the site.

Last edited:
JohnDoe said:
Can somebody post the monetary damages that the rjdc is seeking from ALPA in it lawsuit........thanks

I think it is $100,000,000 plus no less than $2,000,000 for every pilot listed on the suit.

It is actually about 12 BILLION DOLLARS. This includes $100,000,000 plus "no less than $2,000,000 for every comair pilot" for each of 6 separate complaints.

Assuming CMR has 1,000 pilots (I'm pretty sure they have more than that), the math would break down as follows:

$2,000,000 x 1,000 = $2,000,000,000 x 6 complaints = $12,000,000,000 + $100,000,000 = $12,100,000,000!!!!!

I can understand why none of the supporters were quick to answer the question.

Excellent discussion of the Delta PWA in light of the current events. Thanks to Surplus and Flying Sig for their efforts.

Fly Delta's Jets: The University of Cincinnati only pegged the number for ALPA's harm at $600,000,000 - so I guess you guys get a break there. But while you are discussing damages, how much to your fellow Delta, non - ALPA member pilots hope to recover from Miller v. ALPA?Another question you will ignore - in your rant against the RJDC actually asking for enforceability of what ever resolution may be reached

The value of the Comair litigation is that it has thus far kept jets for jobs away from the Delta property. The litigation is a deterrent to predatory practices by the Delta MEC, because unlike the US Air Express guys and Eagle, we are prepared for war - we are organized, educated and funded. We see our effort as a valliant fight to save our international union from individual MEC actions that have undermined the solidarity of pilots performing Delta flying. Further, you tell me if the PID had been granted, would you not be better off than you are now?Another question FDJ will ignore

I am assured the RJDC will always remain open to any enforceable offer by ALPA to provide fair representation to ASA and Comair pilots. But until that solution is reached, we would be fools to allow our pilots the same fate as the other wholly owned regionals within ALPA.

I'm pleased that so far ALPA's harm to my career has been limited - everyone knows that was not ALPA's intent. I hope that I continue to enjoy my job without ALPA interference and that I'm never in a position to collect a dime from this union. And you have no clue just how determined we are - you would be better off with us on your side...

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
Excellent discussion of the Delta PWA in light of the current events. Thanks to Surplus and Flying Sig for their efforts.

Fly Delta's Jets: The University of Cincinnati only pegged the number for ALPA's harm at $600,000,000 - so I guess you guys get a break there.

---------Get a break??!!! Reread your lawsuit. It is asking for OVER 12 BILLION DOLLARS! That's a bit more than your highly debateable 600 million dollar figure, especially in light of the fact that our ineffective scope has yet to limit even a single hour of rj flying.

But while you are discussing damages, how much to your fellow Delta, non - ALPA member pilots hope to recover from Miller v. ALPA?Another question you will ignore - in your rant against the RJDC actually asking for enforceability of what ever resolution may be reached

--------Rarely do I ignore a question. I am not familiar with Miller vs. ALPA. I will research it and answer your question, but I do not see the relevance. I answered a simple question about what the rjdc is seeking. No rjdc supporter gave an accurate figure, so I did (well over twelve BILLION dollars). I find it ironic that supporters of this lawsuit will not even honestly answer what damages they are seeking. Perhaps they are ashamed?

The value of the Comair litigation is that it has thus far kept jets for jobs away from the Delta property.

---------Your assertion has absolutely no basis in fact. There is no evidence of the DALPA MEC being even remotely interested in such a proposal. As a furloughee who prides himself on keeping abreast (huh, huh, I said breast!) of the issues, I can assure you that no Delta pilot has ever suggested such a proposal. The reason has nothing to do with the rjdc and everything to do with the fact that none of us have the desire or the need to fly for any airline but Delta.

The litigation is a deterrent to predatory practices by the Delta MEC, because unlike the US Air Express guys and Eagle, we are prepared for war - we are organized, educated and funded. We see our effort as a valliant fight to save our international union from individual MEC actions that have undermined the solidarity of pilots performing Delta flying. Further, you tell me if the PID had been granted, would you not be better off than you are now?Another question FDJ will ignore

----------A. I don't ignore questions. Sometimes I think I should.
B. I can honestly tell you, after a not insignificant amount of thought, that I do not feel I would be at all better than I am now had the PID been granted. The reason? We do not have the power to combine the lists, and Delta is committed to keeping them separate. Do you honestly think that the lists would be merged today had the PID been granted?

I am assured the RJDC will always remain open to any enforceable offer by ALPA to provide fair representation to ASA and Comair pilots. But until that solution is reached, we would be fools to allow our pilots the same fate as the other wholly owned regionals within ALPA.

--------You are already getting perfectly fair representation. I feel that a judge will eventually concur.

I'm pleased that so far ALPA's harm to my career has been limited

-------Limited???!!!!! May I suggest "non-existent?"

- everyone knows that was not ALPA's intent. I hope that I continue to enjoy my job without ALPA interference and that I'm never in a position to collect a dime from this union.

---------You already have.

And you have no clue just how determined we are - you would be better off with us on your side...

I concur. Unfortunately, you have decided to secede.

Here's a couple of questions for you.

1) Are you or are you not supporting a lawsuit that has requested that a judge award them over 12 billion dollars from ALPA.

2) Did you quote a study that estimates the "potential" damages at only 600 million, less than 5% of the damages sought.

P.S.
The toe fungus is in remission!

Thanks for the responses on the $ amounts....

If those dollar figures are accurate, I have to ask:

I have seen several rjdc supporters say that it's "not about the money." Ok. If it isn't, then why are you seeking such a HUGE settlement?? If the contract and representation issues are decided in your favor, why not just recoup your court and legal costs? I find it hard to believe that money isn't in the equation when the amount sought is so large.

I'm interested in hearing the supporters justification for those $$ amounts.

JohnDoe said:
Thanks for the responses on the $ amounts....

If those dollar figures are accurate, I have to ask:

I have seen several rjdc supporters say that it's "not about the money." Ok. If it isn't, then why are you seeking such a HUGE settlement?? If the contract and representation issues are decided in your favor, why not just recoup your court and legal costs? I find it hard to believe that money isn't in the equation when the amount sought is so large.

I'm interested in hearing the supporters justification for those $$ amounts.

Hello JohnDoe,

I'm one of the evil supporters of the RJDC. Before I get carried away, I'd like to say this. Perhaps we might all benefit if we spent 1/2 of the time that we spend arguing, in a joint effort to resolve the issues that seem to devide us. What we really need are solutions, not more arguments. It is unfortunate that one side seems to have great interest in disputing and defeating the RJDC, but littlle if any interest in finding a solution. As usual, it's "their way or the highway". Unproductive.

Here's some ideas related to your questions. More argument, no solution.

First: Don't believe everything you read, including the gospel according to FDJ and the gospel according to RJDC. Go to the web site, read the actual lawsuit and make your own interpretation.

Second: FDJ makes several "assumptions", ALL of which are his opinions and ALL of which are his interpretations of what a court "might" award at some point in the future. He puts those assumptions out as "facts" in support of his own arguments. Please note that the "facts according to FDJ" are not necessarily the facts. Neither are the "facts according to Surplus1". If you are interested, study the subject matter and form your own opinions.

For FDJ to be anywhere close to accurate in his assumptions, means that the courts would have to rule in favor of the RJDC on each and every one of the counts in the litigation. The courts would also have to award exactly what the RJDC has claimed, in full and separately, on each and every one of the counts. Next, the courts would have to determine that every single pilot on the Comair seniority list is entitled to and awarded the full amount of the claims on each of the six counts in the suit (not withstanding that there are "only" 300 named litigants to date).

FDJ is "angry" because he personally has become a victim of the economic downturn and is furloughed. He has chosen to focus that anger on the RJDC lawsuit apparently because (I'm not really sure why) doing so gives him a ready target at which to direct his frustrations. Perhaps the FDJ attack willl damage or destroy the RJDC (not likely) but, if it should, FDJ is likely to discover in the aftermath that he attacked the wrong target and destroyed it with "friendly fire". Meanwhile, the real enemy escapes unscathed, and his personal dilemma remains unsolved.

FDJ, does lots of reasearch and is well informed. His arguments are all plausible and therfore gain much attention. One might easily think "this is good". However, the basic premise underlying all of these arguments is flawed. As a result, all of the "facts" are skewed in support of a premise that is itself, way off the mark.

1)The regional jets (defended by the RJDC) are NOT responsible for the furlough of any Delta pilot.
2)The RJDC is NOT responsible for the furlough of any Delta pilot.
3) Elimination of every regional jet from the Delta property, will NOT return even one furloughed Delta pilot to work.
4) Defeat of the RJDC will NOT return one furloughed Delta pilot to work.
5) Granting the ALPA relief from this litigation will NOT return any furloughed Delta pilot to work.

IF the above 5 points are accurate, FDJ's relentless assault on the RJDC will not benefit him one iota. What then is the motivation or reason for the crusade? Is it the fervent and high-minded belief that his "union" is flawless and being maligned? I understand what he is attacking, but what exactly is he defending?

If the litigation is without merit, as he alleges, will the courts not simply dismiss it and end the dispute? IF the ALPA is totally innocent of any wrong doing, won't the ALPA be exonerated?

If the litigants believe they have been wronged and damanged, but in fact the courts determine they have not, will the ALPA not be found "not guilty"? Does FDJ believe that persons who feel they have been injured, should not have access to the courts? What alternative to litigation would FDJ recommend? Should Comair pilots that believe they have been wronged simply shut up and go away, because FDJ believes they have not?

I repeat that I am a supporter of the RJDC. I believe that their grievance is justiified. I know that they have sought to resolve those grievances, internally within the ALPA and have been ignored repeatedly. Therefore, I also believe that not only do they have a right to seek redress in the courts, but that is the only legal method available to them. I am prejudiced in their favor and acknowledge it. Who's favor is FDJ prejudiced in? Is FDJ unbiased and objective?

Do my beliefs make me wrong and FDJ right? Do FDJ's beliefs make him wrong and me right? Somehow I don't think so.

What we have here is a legitimate and unresolved dispute between a labor union and a significant number of its members. Like any other dispute between two parties, it can be settled out of court or in court. To date, the ALPA and the RJDC have both chosen to proceed to the courts. When its over, one will prevail and the other will not. That is the system that our country recognizes for the settlement of legal disputes. Why can't FDJ recognize that system as well?

Perhaps I have not answered you basic question of why the monetary amounts of the claims are so high. The answer is quite simple really. IF the ALPA prevails in the pursuit of the practices that affect Comair pilots adversely, every Comair pilot is exposed to the potential loss of more than a million dollars over the life of his career. That is why we seek recompense. If and when the factors that cause this potential loss are withdrawn, the need for compensation will also go away. The punitive damages sought are designed to preclude the ALPA from engaging in such practices in the future. A slap on the rist won't do that. One hundred million dollars just might.

I sincerely hope we can ultimately work together and find a mutually satisfactory solution to our differences.

Surplus1
CMR

surplus1 said:

First: Don't believe everything you read, including the gospel according to FDJ and the gospel according to RJDC. Go to the web site, read the actual lawsuit and make your own interpretation.

-------I agree. Read complaints VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, and XIII. All ask for "not less than $2,000,000 for each CMR pilot. You will find not gospel, but actual language from the suit.

Second: FDJ makes several "assumptions", ALL of which are his opinions and ALL of which are his interpretations of what a court "might" award at some point in the future. He puts those assumptions out as "facts" in support of his own arguments. Please note that the "facts according to FDJ" are not necessarily the facts. Neither are the "facts according to Surplus1". If you are interested, study the subject matter and form your own opinions.

---------Actually, I made no assumptions. I simply used facts to answer a question. I did not offer opinion (rare for me). I simply answered John Doe's question of how much the rjdc is seeking from ALPA in its suit. Your suit contains language asking for over 12 billion dollars. That is not a "fact," it is a fact.

For FDJ to be anywhere close to accurate in his assumptions, means that the courts would have to rule in favor of the RJDC on each and every one of the counts in the litigation. The courts would also have to award exactly what the RJDC has claimed, in full and separately, on each and every one of the counts. Next, the courts would have to determine that every single pilot on the Comair seniority list is entitled to and awarded the full amount of the claims on each of the six counts in the suit (not withstanding that there are "only" 300 named litigants to date).

-------Read the suit again surplus. It asks for 12 million for every cmr ALPA pilot. It says nothing about named litigants. Also, I did not say how much I think you will get (zero), I simply answered the question of what you are asking for.

FDJ is "angry" because he personally has become a victim of the economic downturn and is furloughed. He has chosen to focus that anger on the RJDC lawsuit apparently because (I'm not really sure why) doing so gives him a ready target at which to direct his frustrations.

-------Your assumption is incorrect. I have been angry with the rjdc long before my furlough, even when my carreer was proceeding perfectly. I am angry with the rjdc not because of what has happened to me, but what will happen to all of us if they succeed.

Perhaps the FDJ attack willl damage or destroy the RJDC (not likely) but, if it should, FDJ is likely to discover in the aftermath that he attacked the wrong target and destroyed it with "friendly fire". Meanwhile, the real enemy escapes unscathed, and his personal dilemma remains unsolved.

------My fight against the rjdc does not preclude me from fighting on other fronts as well.

1)The regional jets (defended by the RJDC) are NOT responsible for the furlough of any Delta pilot.

-----Never said they were. P.S. You don't need to defend something that faces no threat.

2)The RJDC is NOT responsible for the furlough of any Delta pilot.

-------Never said it was.

3) Elimination of every regional jet from the Delta property, will NOT return even one furloughed Delta pilot to work.

-------Never said it would.

4) Defeat of the RJDC will NOT return one furloughed Delta pilot to work.

--------Never said it would.

5) Granting the ALPA relief from this litigation will NOT return any furloughed Delta pilot to work.

------Never said it would.

IF the above 5 points are accurate, FDJ's relentless assault on the RJDC will not benefit him one iota.

-------It will allow me to keep my contract intact.

What then is the motivation or reason for the crusade? Is it the fervent and high-minded belief that his "union" is flawless and being maligned? I understand what he is attacking, but what exactly is he defending?

-------Have you ever read any of my posts? Do you really require me to rehash why I think the rjdc is a major threat? I have done so too many times to count.

If the litigation is without merit, as he alleges, will the courts not simply dismiss it and end the dispute? IF the ALPA is totally innocent of any wrong doing, won't the ALPA be exonerated?

------I believe that they will. I am not content to trust the courts to make the right decision.

If the litigants believe they have been wronged and damanged, but in fact the courts determine they have not, will the ALPA not be found "not guilty"? Does FDJ believe that persons who feel they have been injured, should not have access to the courts? What alternative to litigation would FDJ recommend? Should Comair pilots that believe they have been wronged simply shut up and go away, because FDJ believes they have not?

----I have been through this. I fully support your right to sue to have a judge review whether or not the PID proceedings were legal. I do not support them seeking over 12 billion in damages, and I do not support the assault on my contract.

I repeat that I am a supporter of the RJDC. I believe that their grievance is justiified. I know that they have sought to resolve those grievances, internally within the ALPA and have been ignored repeatedly. Therefore, I also believe that not only do they have a right to seek redress in the courts, but that is the only legal method available to them. I am prejudiced in their favor and acknowledge it. Who's favor is FDJ prejudiced in? Is FDJ unbiased and objective?

------No, I am very biased in favor of strong scope clauses. I firmly believe that they are the final defence mgt's assault on our professions, and I firmly believe that the ambiguous language of the rjdc puts EVERY scope clause in the country at risk.

Do my beliefs make me wrong and FDJ right? Do FDJ's beliefs make him wrong and me right? Somehow I don't think so.

-------Yes and no!

What we have here is a legitimate and unresolved dispute between a labor union and a significant number of its members. Like any other dispute between two parties, it can be settled out of court or in court. To date, the ALPA and the RJDC have both chosen to proceed to the courts. When its over, one will prevail and the other will not. That is the system that our country recognizes for the settlement of legal disputes. Why can't FDJ recognize that system as well?

----See my above explanation to a similar point.

Perhaps I have not answered you basic question of why the monetary amounts of the claims are so high. The answer is quite simple really. IF the ALPA prevails in the pursuit of the practices that affect Comair pilots adversely, every Comair pilot is exposed to the potential loss of more than a million dollars over the life of his career.

-----You are asking for 12 million for each comair pilot. Can you show any damages right now? You are asking for them.

The punitive damages sought are designed to preclude the ALPA from engaging in such practices in the future. A slap on the rist won't do that. One hundred million dollars just might.

----Try $12 BILLION.

I sincerely hope we can ultimately work together and find a mutually satisfactory solution to our differences.

Surplus1
CMR

---As do I.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back