RJ vs. DC-9-10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TY... I will type this slowly for you!

I don't know what post you were reading..... Or maybe you had a friend read it to you...

If you think that there is one regional pilot out there that thinks that they are overpaid then you are the IDIOT! Majors have been around for a long time and have had several contracts come and go. In time, regional contracts will be linear to the majors.... BUT IT IS GOING TO TAKE TIME..... IF my company was around since 1920's I'd be making a big fat pile of cash too. It took many hard hours by the unions to get wages up to par for the majors just like it is going to take for the regional guys.

My post was aimed at all the righteous people out there that think that regional airline pilots should just up and quit for making little money. When I signed on at my current company we had the "industry leading regional contract. That only lasted until the next regional contract was signed. That's how this business works... Brick by brick.... dollar by dollar...

I am sure that you are making millions at your corporate job and have great work rules..... Get real... and talk about what you know not who you ........

Oak:

Don't worry about typing slowly for me, pal, I got it right the first time. Maybe if you'd slow down a little yourself and read past the first few planes listed, you'd see a B717 in there, too, which is my current job. Corporate is what got me there.

This may surprise you, but even most mediocre corporate flight departments have better pay and working conditions than the "leading regional", which is why I went that route. When I qualified for a job at the 121 of my choice, I made the move. Jet time was jet time, and here I am.

Congrats for cinching your position as Village Idiot. May your reign be long and prosperous.

Do you mean to tell me Ty that sitting 12 hours on an FBO couch waiting for your boss to return from his meetings and late night dinner is an example of better work rules than the trip and duty rigs at current regionals? Interesting.

The most mediocre regional guy still can't fly past 16 hours duty thanks to 121 regs. Can a part 91 corporate guy say the same?

This debate gets old ...

I hate to break up this Mutual Admiration Society, but ...

I have to step in on the "corporate vs. regional" thing that has come to life here all of a sudden. I chose corporate flying, like Ty, as my starting point in the business ... I may stay put, or I may go to an airline one day ... I don't know. However, I do think Ty is right in one respect ... pay is certainly better at most (reputable) corporate operators than even the best regionals. Work rules are another story. I won't say one side or the other is better or worse, merely different ... some guys would rather fly eight legs a day with 30-minute turns, and some would rather have the FBO-sit that sometimes happens corporately. It all depends on your personal preference. Let's just leave it at that.

Regardless of whose name is on the side of your airplane, fly it safely!

Tailwinds, y'all ...

R

I have nothing against corporate flying. I was just replying to Ty's remarks. He apparently has some self esteem problems and finds it necessary to call people that feel a regional job is for time building an idiot.

As a former "Regional", then Corporate, then American Airlines (newhire) then back to my corporate job (thanks to 9/11)... I can tell you that major airline jobs are there and would be more plentyful if there weren't so **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** many RJ's flying mainline style (non-feed) routes.

I personally want to see every major airline stick to tight scope language that doesn't focus so much on the type of jet being flown as much as what it's doing. For example I don't give a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** if they want to shuttle a 50 seat ERJ back and forth from Austin to DFW or Stockton to SFO, so long as those pax are connecting to a mainline flight. But if they start to operate more like the mainline, then that needs to be stopped.

Building routes is also ok, but then we need a way to gurantee that this goes away after the market is established and mainline flights take over.

Otherwise this will lead to a downward spiral that will terminate with our profession going south.

OK, that was interesting.

Last edited:
I agree V7. Even though I'm a CRJ driver I would rather fly a turboprop now and have all the RJs at the majors. I think there would be more jobs at the majors if the pay was a bit more reasonable. It looks like at least the USAirways MEC understands this.

You are smart, I saw this while I was an ATR captain too. And at American, the APA tried to get the Eagle list stapled on to theirs and management pissed on that, with the help of senior Eagle ALPA members.

The only solution is good (smart) scope language.

Latest resources

Back