• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RJ Luggage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Getting a 27" in the overheads lengthwise shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you commute or plan to non rev a lot, anything taller than 22" and it won't fit wheels first on most mainline airplanes.

This really does become an issue on a full flight. And trust me, they'e frequently full.

If you don't plan to use it on mainline airplanes a lot, 27" should be fine, but don't be surprised when you have to gate check it during a commute.

Just something to consider.

As far as the Flight Bags - will the Scott jumbo fit in the RJ?

I second the CostCo $89 bag. Extremely well-built bag with a lifetime warranty. The CRJ overhead bin is 8" and the CostCo bag is 9" in height, so you have to barely squeeze it in a little, but it's not bad at all.

Thanks a bunch for the info. Which flight bag besides Scott's works/fits best? I've already got a Purdy Neat 22"Stealth NG or whatever they're calling these days. The only drawback is it's empty weight-260 oz's. advertised(16.25lbs). The Costco looks a lot like one at Sam's. How about the Travel Pro Crew 5 18" or 20" bags?
Thanks again!!

I have had my travel pro crew 4 22" for 3.5 years now (lots of replacement parts from the lifetime warrenty) No major problems, you will burn through wheels- get rollarblade wheels for it............its beens 6 months now and they still GLIDE my 39 LBS of luggage with ease.. You can get them at the stop-over stores at major US Airports.....ie MSP, IAH and others

I pack for 4-5 day trips with the LW 27". It works fine and fits in the overhead of the CRJ. You just need to pack right. I.E. roll up your clothes tight. Have plenty of room for my workout clothes and running sneaks. But I do get hosed every now and then when commuting home on mainline and have had to gate check it a couple of times. Sometimes the 319/320 crews hang on to it in the pit if there's room and the guys are cool.

Things to look for in a roller bag. First and foremost, CAN YOU REPLACE THE WHEELS YOURSELF. You will need new wheels every six months or so if you fly 900+ hours per year on 2, 3, and 4 day trips. If you have to pay to replace them then you could be looking at shelling out bucks to have it sent repaired and sent back plus down time on the bag unless you live in SYR then Cities Leather and Luggage downtown will do it for 5 bucks if its under warrenty and if your nice while you wait. Just watch out for the crackhead hookers hanging out at the pharmicy next door.

A good tip on wheels: Go to K-mart and buy a $20 pair of "x-trem" kids rollerblabes. Each set has 8 wheels that are the same as the replacement pair in the skate shop that sell for 18 buck for 2 wheels. 8 wheels for $20.

Second, Zippers, make sure they are the big kind that doesn't break. Keep a strap or some rope in you bag incase the zipper does break and you need to strap/tie it closed in the middle of a 4 day.

3rd - Simple design, you just need a big (22") open space, not pockets inside or walls/dividers to take up room and add weight. Also a good replaceable/washable liner.

4th - tuff canvas material especially on the bottom and corners. Your bag will scrape and rub against everything and the bottom an corners will chafe so either reinforce or have big holes.

5th - strong handle - enough said - also one that is repairable and replaceable by you - see wheels section.

I have a Travel pro Platnum 2 that I got from a warehouse distributer in June 2001. Its garunteed for life but I modified the wheel wells with 1/32 thick aluminum rivited to the wheel holder cups so that the wheel axels don't rub on the plastic wheel chassie. I also rivited al plate to the bottom to reinforce it and also protect the hardplastic wheel well area.

Keep you zippers clean also. Once dirt gets into the teeth the slider wont do it job and the teeth will bend causing the zipper to split.

Purdy Neat Stuff 22" rollaboard. I'd recommend the Stop Over Store version with the strap that goes around the page to stabilize the "hook" that you hang your flight kit on. Makes it much more stable jostling around the bags. For the flight kit, no other than the Scott Leather kit. If you are like me, and don't wear the same pair of boxers for a four-day, then the attachable duffel for the PNS bag would be helpful in the wintertime to store a jacket and hat, rather than overloading the regular bag.

I won't ever go with anything else. This after two destroyed TravelPro rollaboards and two other flight kits (the cheap-o kind). Get something quality from the start, and take care of it. I've had both a flight kit and rollaboard crap out on me in the middle of trips, and it isn't a good feeling. Luckily for me, both occurances were near the end of trips and I didn't commute at the time.

Good luck with what you choose.

Stop Over Store Purdy Neat Stuff 22" Rollaboard
Scott Leather Flight Kit
Scott Leather Jumbo Flight Kit

The Luggageworks bags are indeed the heaviest but unlike all the other great bags, they glide effortlessly over the terminal floor and are rock solid stable platforms for towing your heavy flight case. I always chuckle at seeing flight crew with other bags wobble and topple all over the place. The stainless stell handle is long, and will never flex. Virtually all other bags, incl. travel pro, are not as nice for towing your bag... the wheel base or whatever- the distance betwene the wheels- is very wide on Luggageworks so your bag will never wobble, and the hook arrangement is easier to use. Once in a blue moon (happened to me once in a few years) it gets bent if the bag is piled in the luggage bin with 10 bags on top of the hook, but any airplane mechanic can fix that for you in 5 seconds with one of his reverse plyer thingies.

As for flight bags, if you have access to a StopOver store or some other place that does luggage repair on the spot, you can get the flimsy pins that secure the handles in the office depot bags replaced for around $15 with beefy pin that will never break. That pretty much results in a $45 bag ($30 + $15 for the new pins) that will last for many many years, since that is the part that breaks. (Even if the handle eventually gives way through the pins, that would only cost another $15). And as someone else said, that way you can get fresh stickers when you change jobs.

Latest resources

Back