RJ fO to Key lime capt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DrewBlows said:
If single pilot cargo is safer than part 121 crew flying, that's news to me. I don't even think it's debatable. Sure, you can kill yourself in any kind of airplane (except a B777, no fatal events), but I'll take my chances with GPS, MFDs, and FMS.

If it's dangerous, you're not doing it right.

Now let's be honest here. You ARE saying that single pilot 135 is dangerous and that those who fly it are taking their lives in their own hands, regardless of the relative merits of their particular employer. Which is just stupid, and incorrect. And you're getting called on it.

"single pilot 135" lumps together a guy flying a single pilot metro for grande scare in 1997 with an Airnet Lear with an SR22 for Satsair. Fairly diverse operations.

Flying on gauges is not inherently dangerous. People did it for decades before MFDs, GPS, and FMS. I do it every day. It's not a question of bigger balls or "the right stuff", it's a question of the training to know where you are and what you're doing and the discipline not to take "shortcuts" with no one looking over your shoulder.

So i am a regional F/O on second year pay (one of the better regionals) However it will still take me 2 years to upgrade. I have in interview with Key Lime air, flying a Metro III single pilot cargo, same pay. Good choice? any Key Limers have input?
Tell Mike I said hello. < former Keylime jockey.

I promise, please keep me east of WV and west of IA, thx!

i hear that brother, you can have all the flat land, zero scenery, hugh ugly car plants, people that work in fbos and cant tell me if there is a taxi service available or somewhere to eat. Then they wonder why I am rude, its because you suck at your job and are worthless! OTM LWV SDA BAK TOL YIP MKL, just keep'em!

act like a prick....get treated like a prick

i am sorry but people in the midwest are miserable and it shows in the way they treat their customers. its not my fault the econmoy sucks in your little town and its overcast for 6 months straight. you think you might get a smile or helpful information from someone that you just bought $8000.00 worth of fuel from at retail. some of these littel towns need our buisness but act like they don't

i am sorry but people in the midwest are miserable and it shows in the way they treat their customers. its not my fault the econmoy sucks in your little town and its overcast for 6 months straight. you think you might get a smile or helpful information from someone that you just bought $8000.00 worth of fuel from at retail. some of these littel towns need our buisness but act like they don't

So what's people's excuse that are from NY?

Now let's be honest here. You ARE saying that single pilot 135 is dangerous and that those who fly it are taking their lives in their own hands, regardless of the relative merits of their particular employer. Which is just stupid, and incorrect. And you're getting called on it.

Thank you for calling me on it, but I never said single pilot 135 was "dangerous". I said that single pilot freight wasn't as safe as the part 121 crew environment. I even said it's not debatable. It's not. I also said I knew two guys who left the regionals for single pilot freight and were dead within a year. I used this to point out that I'm not interested in that kind of flying.

Flying on gauges is not inherently dangerous. People did it for decades before MFDs, GPS, and FMS.

Agreed, however, given the choice, (which I was) I'll take the MFDs, GPS, and FMS. I'll also take Enhanced GPWS, TCAS-II, and any other acronym that makes my life easier.

Just to get back on topic....Stay away from Key Lime.
1. They will try to hang you out to dry for their maint screw ups. Check their accident history .. maint problems caused accidents they first fired the pilots and then would give them the job back if they "accepted responsibility." NTSB had different idea of cause.
2. You get to pay to drive back and forth to outstations on weekends with possibility you will end up at another the following week and have to drive anyway and pay anyway even if you live there.

DrewBlows said:
I even said it's not debatable. It's not.

Oh, contraire! Statistically, I'm sure you're right. However, as I pointed out above and you ignored, 135 is a pretty broad category. There are loads of 135 ops that have had 0 fatalities. There are some regionals who can say the same...but not most. There's another statistic that proves nothing. How dangerous any flying is has a lot more to do with the yoke actuator than the type, age, or paint of the airplane or the type of certificate.

Anyway, maybe you're just saying that you like computers and someone to talk to. *shrug* I'm sure I will too when I join you. I'll be glad I did 135, too.

PS. Don't go to Key Lime.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back