• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RJ fO to Key lime capt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your goal is to eventually go to a major or national, remember there are no guarantees. Would you rather be at a regional for the rest of your career, or flying single pilot freight for the next 30-40 years. I'd stay if I were you.

The Drizzle said:
nothing like flightinfo to sh!t on the memories of dead men

In response to being called suicidal, dangerous, and unprofessional? What would be your response if someone were to ask a question on the cargo board about going to a regional and someone responded that they knew two guys who went to Pinnacle and wound up in a coffin and thus regionals are way too dangerous and ought to be avoided?

Now, on the subject at hand, I would strongly recommend thinking about a different 135 operator if your heart is set on the change of scenery. Ameriflight and Freight Runners both hire directly in to turbine equipment. Even AirNow seems to have a better general reputation than Key Lime.

135 freight is rarely the stepping stone to a major that it seems like it should be.
3 people in my newhire class, including myself, went from 135 freight directly to Big Brown. One person had no college, one person had <500 PIC, and one had flown the B-1900 as the biggest airplane prior.

Last edited:
I kinda feel like i missed out on the fun part of flying, i did the CFI thing and then to the RJ. I should have made a pit stop at Cape Air or some sea plane operator in the northwest for a year or so. Note to all pilots who have not flown a jet yet. Its fast sure, but it goes to LGA and that place sux. Enjoy the CFI and prop time. Like everyone else here i think i am the best pilot in the world. But i know some of the best who have been bested by an engine failure in the hills. I don't think 1000 pic is worth it.

Last edited:
3 people in my newhire class, including myself, went from 135 freight directly to Big Brown. One person had no college, one person had <500 PIC, and one had flown the B-1900 as the biggest airplane prior.

Post 9/11? It's a whole new world out there now...

I kinda feel like i missed out on the fun part of flying, i did the CFI thing and then to the RJ. I should have made a pit stop at Cape Air or some sea plane operator in the northwest for a year or so. Note to all pilots who have not flown a jet yet. Its fast sure, but it goes to LGA and that place sux. Enjoy the CFI and prop time. Like everyone else here i think i am the best pilot in the world. But i know some of the best who have been bested by an engine failure in the hills. I don't think 1000 pic is worth it.

Why don't you bid a turboprop if your airline still has some? That's much more interesting and adventuresome than an RJ, but still "safe". Turboprops tend to be "pilot's planes" where you actually fly, not manage systems like an RJ. Do you work for Eagle? If so, go bid "The Rock" for a year and get it out of your system.

I will tell you that if you've never flown single pilot in a large airplane, you're in for a surprise. The learning curve is huge, and even if you live through it, you will scare the hell out of yourself many times. And the reward is very small. I would not recommend that avenue for someone just looking for a little adventure.

Post 9/11? It's a whole new world out there now...
It is, but here is the premise of my post. It has more to do with who you know instead of strictly what you have been flying. That part has not changed.

It is, but here is the premise of my post. It has more to do with who you know instead of strictly what you have been flying. That part has not changed.

True, who you know is important. But click here to get a rough idea;

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=9841
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthr...FedEx+Newhires
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthr...t=CAL+Newhires
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=94341
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=95645

Now I'm not getting into a pi$$ing contest of who the better pilots are. FOR THOSE THAT HAVE A READING COMPREHENSION PROBLEM, I'M NOT GETTING INTO A PI$$ING CONTEST OF WHO THE BETTER PILOTS ARE!

The job market is tough, supply is high and demand is low. Post 9/11 it seems to be about WHO you know AS WELL AS WHAT you have been flying. When everybody knows somebody, you have to look for something else to seperate the pack.

Maybe you work in the hiring department, I don't know. But do you think you would be able to get somebody in at UPS with less than 1000 PIC and no "preferred bachlor's degree"?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back