• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RIP AirTran. Nostalgia thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HVD, I agree...I realize that AAI has/had great people...but the company underpaid for decades....and yes there have been some high profile gaffes by SWA pilots (Branson and La Guardia), having a fellow SWA pilot (yes FAT) declare that we do NOT deserve a raise is a little troubling....I get the angst, even the righteous pride in a former work place, but that attitude is well, let's say divisive.,..

In business 17 years when merged (less than 2 decades). How long did WN underpay? Right up until the bankruptcies after 9/11 and will be again shortly, that is decades. We'd be better served by looking forward as opposed to sharing uninformed opinions about the past. We all have them and they are useless now.

MJ.............. one idiot..... big deal.
What about the article, that was published by the union in their RP rag, which accomplished more for the denegration of the pilot group and our profession than a solitary individual spouting off. For the union to publish his drivel was a waste of the union funds, gives voice to the kool aid enema crowd and works into the company rhetoric. BWI Cappy dragging us backwards. Have you called him to voice your displeasure with his article?

Actually, it was 21 years, and the wages were not always below market.

When I was hired (2001) the top pay for 12th yr CA was $152./hr. As I've pointed out here before, that was more than SWA was paying. It was also more than the legacies were paying for similar equipment in the post-9/11 world, unfortunately.

And, MJ, any former AAI guy that shows up on the line at SWA and truly thinks that they are there to babysit the Capt is just an a-hole. . . . Probably the same a-hole that would spend their time watching me, to the detriment of their FO duties.

I used to tell them, "Hey, if you want to watch me do my job, that's fine, just make sure you do your work first . . . because right now, your work isn't getting done". :laugh:

Last edited:
Actually, it was 21 years, and the wages were not always below market.

When I was hired (2001) the top pay for 12th yr CA was $152./hr. As I've pointed out here before, that was more than SWA was paying. It was also more than the legacies were paying for similar equipment in the post-9/11 world, unfortunately.

And, MJ, any former AAI guy that shows up on the line at SWA and truly thinks that they are there to babysit the Capt is just an a-hole. . . . Probably the same a-hole that would spend their time watching me, to the detriment of their FO duties.

I used to tell them, "Hey, if you want to watch me do my job, that's fine, just make sure you do your work first . . . because right now, your work isn't getting done". :laugh:

The original AirTran Airways, a Boeing 737 operator with service to/from Orlando, was founded by AirTran Corporation, the holding company of Mesaba Airlines of Minneapolis, Minnesota, operating as a Northwest Airlink carrier with hubs in Minneapolis and Detroit. In 1994

You lost me. If AT started in 1994, how could they have 12 year captains in 2001?

When I was hired (2001) the top pay for 12th yr CA was $152./hr. As I've pointed out here before, that was more than SWA was paying.

SWA 12 year CA pay on 9/01/01 was $149.90, I wouldn't lose sleep over $2.10 or the fact that 10 years later it went to $216.00. Not a bad increase. :)

Come on, now....... If you look at the list, some VJ guys were hired in '93. ;)

And, FWIW, I didn't say it was better, just trying to keep the conversation real.

I've been happy on the SWA side, largely because everyone has been very welcoming, don't be the turd in the punch bowl. :)

Last edited:
I've been happy on the SWA side, largely because everyone has been very welcoming, don't be the turd in the punch bowl. :)
Over and over I keep hearing this from both sides. FAT pilots keep saying they have been welcomed and treated well at SWA by the vast majority.

SWA captains keep saying that the vast majority of AirTran pilots are great to fly with.

Other than the 5% on both sides that were D-Bags before this deal went down, everyone seems to be getting along just fine.

It must be absolutely killing Glee.

Latest resources

Back