• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RIP AirTran. Nostalgia thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Over and over I keep hearing this from both sides. FAT pilots keep saying they have been welcomed and treated well at SWA by the vast majority.

SWA captains keep saying that the vast majority of AirTran pilots are great to fly with.

Other than the 5% on both sides that were D-Bags before this deal went down, everyone seems to be getting along just fine.

It must be absolutely killing Glee.

He's apparently not here to respond right now, so lemme help you out, Howie:

"You fly to LBB! I eat ice cream sundaes all the time! That's fantastic!!"

Feel better now?

Bubba

SWA 12 year CA pay on 9/01/01 was $149.90, I wouldn't lose sleep over $2.10 or the fact that 10 years later it went to $216.00. Not a bad increase. :)

Not to quibble but in 10 years ours went to the high $180's. That would be 17 years after start up, where was WN in relation to their peers in say '89 or so? Just keepin it real.

Don't forget the huge stock options and profit sharing checks every year. Just sayin'

How did the rates compare?

Fortunately the stock options worked out, but most wouldn't calculate future gambling's in current income. As far as profit sharing, read the SWAPA forum concerning that gem. Delta definitely has it better in their PS and 401K without a match. Letting the company borrow your money for 9 months is almost as bad as letting the federal government borrow it for up to a year waiting on a refund.

How did the rates compare?

Fortunately the stock options worked out, but most wouldn't calculate future gambling's in current income. As far as profit sharing, read the SWAPA forum concerning that gem. Delta definitely has it better in their PS and 401K without a match. Letting the company borrow your money for 9 months is almost as bad as letting the federal government borrow it for up to a year waiting on a refund.

How'd that compare at AirTran? Isn't that what we were talking about? Several hundred SW guys retired multi-millionaires because of that simple combination (Options & PS). So maybe the rates were lower, but they made out like bandits. Hell, even some FA's were millionaires.

I'll admit the current Delta setup is better and I'd like to see improvements in that regard. But they've also been thru bankruptcy and were gutted when SW wasn't. While DL was going through that process, SW guys were still getting PS and hanging on to every dollar they saved in retirement (Defined Benefit vs. 401k) Apples and oranges many times over many years, really between all three airlines you've mentioned. You can pick points in time, but for the most part the SW guys have done better for the long run. And hopefully we can make some improvements.

Not to quibble but in 10 years ours went to the high $180's. That would be 17 years after start up, where was WN in relation to their peers in say '89 or so? Just keepin it real.

Oh God alright already, you're right I'm wrong everything sucks. You must be a thrill to sit next to on a four day Schleprock.

I'll bet he's fine, as long as no one's poking him in the eye, telling him how he won the lottery. :)

Come on Ty, you know those four digit guys would say "there's a lottery?"

I'll bet he's fine, as long as no one's poking him in the eye, telling him how he won the lottery. :)

Exactly, only poked in the eye once but that was by an f/a and she was the only one that didn't know she was a b! Tch out of the whole crew.

Almost all the CA's I'm flying with are surprised by how much I'm working to make up the difference. No problems, they just don't have a clue. Even the junior captains haven't shown any animosity, very professional.

Almost all the CA's I'm flying with are surprised by how much I'm working to make up the difference. No problems, they just don't have a clue.

Uh, maybe it's because they're rich and struggling to make a living doesn't compute. Most probably have more in their Profit-sharing than you have made the last 10 years.

Latest resources

Back