• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Right Eng Fail and Fire FMS & A/P inop on a missed MEM 36L

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes I passed the type ride. Thanks. By the grace of God. And Gods name was__________.

And the next day, the NFP Instructor that was with me on the training event asked me if I turned out like the other instructor had shown me, and I said no and that I followed the published procedure as always before turning out immediately (as humanly possible) upon reaching the 1000 MSL left turn out which is aprox 700 on the radar altimeter in MEM for my heads up. ( We are already looking at the radar alt on initial climbout for Flight Director call outs here.) The NFP Instructor said good. He didn't say anything before since the other guy was above him and he was wondering if I had done it the way previously shown, what the check airmen thought about it. No chance of that. I'm not going to be a test pilot. And I definitely know now that I am not Chuck Yeager. Well I knew that before. Now I feel like a beat dog in a corner. Well not that bad.

The good thing in this is that now I know more about the obstacle clearance info in TERPS. That from the lowest MDA or DH the climbout protection up to the turn out altitude is based on a 40 to 1 ratio, that is from the lowest MDA or DH up to the turnout alt.

When designing a standard missed procedure they use the ratio 40:1. Every 40 feet out, clearance is 1 foot up plus a buffer percentage. This told and shown to me in the TERPS by an approach designer company engineer I found over the net. Using 200 foot per mile as we see listed in other areas of the regs gives even more buffer.

But remember, what I just said is from me, just another guy. I never thought so much of this before when I flew in heavy mountainous terrain before since as long as we had the performance for the runway and there were no alternate company procedures, the the aircraft was capable of making the climbout and turnout performance as long as you followed the procedure and climbed and turned exactly as published. Never heard anyone say you can turn later just because you know there are no obstacles in the surrounding the area to worry about, that is after noting your performance.

What I did do was on all approaches where we were already in an emergency situation was to have the NFP request a straight out missed just in case the check airman would take responsibility for radar obstacle clearance vectoring when checking in with the tower on approach.

Of course. "Denied"

Thanks for the help fellas.

Last edited:
Since you can't edit past 10 min. If you didn't get it, the below underline is where you insert the Check Airmans name.

hmmm said:
Yes I passed the type ride. Thanks. By the grace of God. And Gods name was "__________."

Well I didn't read all the posts so if this was already said than I am sorry. First off I agree your instructor is a winner. Only one emerency at a time, unless it is self induced by screwing up the procedure. As far as your turn goes. First things first FLY THE PLANE. Get the thing under control and configured to get the hell away from the ground. Second say the magic words and do what you did as for straight ahead, in the real world they will give it to you unless you are in the mountains. As far aw turning late I think there is some leeway. The climb to statement is a minimum for the turn. But lets face it if you go way the hell out of the way he could get you for bad situational awareness. That is a judgment thing on his part. Which obvioulsly he lacks.

While it seems the issues have been resolved I will throw this out for discussions sake. The published missed approach is not a nordo procedure but rather a "without further guidance procedure". You should not plan on doing the MAP in the real world unless you have no other instructions. I guarantee you if you do it at a big airport like ORD or LGA you will get spanked. That said, you are talking apples and oranges here. The sim is the place to demonstrate proficiency and that is why you can expect to fly at least one published missed, more if the IP/EP feels like he needs to see more. You can expect a more cooperative controller after you have demonstrated your ability.

Latest resources

Back