Retro Cactus?

Fearless Tower

Total Time
some
Driving to work yesterday, I saw an Airbus at the departure end of 27 at KSAN painted in America West's original 1980's scheme (white with the light blue pinstripes). Haven't seen one of those in years.....is this a new retro paint, or an old jet that they pulled out of layup in the desert?

mwmav8r01

Total Time
Retro scheme. As it says USAIRWAYS on the fuselage. I dont think the 319 has ever worn that scheme. Also is a PSA and a Piedmont one too. I saw that one in STL a few days ago too (the America West one)

Fearless Tower

Total Time
some
Ah, that's right....now that you mention it, I do remember some talk about them introducing some retro colors like PSA. As far as the A319 in the old colors, I seem to remember some buses in the early 90's in that scheme.

Thanks

aussieflyboy

Total Time
So this is where all the money from the $2 waters has been going... Retro paint jobs!!! Wow if they have all this money you'd think they could throw the pilots a bone.

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
So this is where all the money from the $2 waters has been going... Retro paint jobs!!! Wow if they have all this money you'd think they could throw the pilots a bone.

FWIW, the retro paint was done in 2006/2007 before drink fees.

Fubijaakr

Seniority is Forever
Total Time
Enough
I saw 3 of the retros all parked at the BOS terminal one morning...AWA, PSA and Allegheny. It was cool.

Redmeat

People Mover
Total Time
Ubecha
The 'America West' retro version has been around since summer 06.

I flew into PHX a lot that summer and remember doing a double take at it.

Bringupthebird

Grumpy? Who-Me?
Total Time
The 319's didn't show up until after the Jurrasic Park paint scheme was implemented.

Also FWIW, none of the AWA people cried to Parker that the colors weren't right and it needed a do-over. All of the east retro-jets required re-paints to one degree or another in response to tantrums.

Last edited:

johnnyb

Total Time
11000+
Also FWIW, none of the AWA people cried to Parker that the colors weren't right and it needed a do-over. All of the east retro-jets required re-paints to one degree or another in response to tantrums.

Do you go out of your way to be a tool or are you just like that?

get2flyin

Flyinawa!
Total Time
15k+

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Total Time
Done!
FWIW, none of the AWA people cried to Parker that the colors weren't right and it needed a do-over. All of the east retro-jets required re-paints to one degree or another in response to tantrums.
Well, the Allegheny paint job wasn't remotely close to the original. That's one thing I don't like about Airbuses, they need to be painted silver to simulate metal. Anyone know why?

Fubijaakr

Seniority is Forever
Total Time
Enough
That's one thing I don't like about Airbuses, they need to be painted silver to simulate metal. Anyone know why?

Because European aluminum doesn't color coordinate. An aluminum airplane (ala AA) would look like a patchwork quilt.

maxblast72

Total Time
9000+
The Steeler airplane looks pretty good. They just need to add "6 Time Superbowl Champions" somewhere on the airplane.

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Total Time
Done!
Because European aluminum doesn't color coordinate. An aluminum airplane (ala AA) would look like a patchwork quilt.
Serious? Sounds plausible. Would look pretty fugly.