• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retirement Projections for 2011

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can argue how many might leave early, but the hard number and mandatory retirements of age 65ers won't kick in for basically 2 more years (Dec 2012). From info I have found on this site recently, retirements for all "major" airlines combined are only about 575 for 2012 and 1,093 in 2013 ("0" for 2011...obviously only "early" outs). From there a linear increase to about 2,500 each year by 2025.

So basically this "huge pilot shortage" will require 13,000 pilots to be hired by 2020 just to replace retirements at "major" airlines alone.

So basically this "huge pilot shortage" will require 13,000 pilots to be hired by 2020 just to replace retirements at "major" airlines alone.

Just my humble opinion, but to offset that glut we'll see one pilot per cockpit to backup a very advanced computer that will fly all the time. HAL 2020 anyone?

You can argue how many might leave early, but the hard number and mandatory retirements of age 65ers won't kick in for basically 2 more years (Dec 2012). From info I have found on this site recently, retirements for all "major" airlines combined are only about 575 for 2012 and 1,093 in 2013 ("0" for 2011...obviously only "early" outs). From there a linear increase to about 2,500 each year by 2025.

Regarding "early" outs, I wonder how many over 60 year olds make it to the mandatory retirement age.

LOl! Im starting to think many guys in the right seat will be ready to retire! lots of white hair in those cockpits

Nerdy Pilots

Just my humble opinion, but to offset that glut we'll see one pilot per cockpit to backup a very advanced computer that will fly all the time. HAL 2020 anyone?

Lardatts, well said. Just doing my bi-monthly troll. Still waiting for the massive hiring boom. Later,

Latest resources

Back