Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

race#53

Is this true?
For Southwest's pilots, the number-one ranking means their plan "gets average plan participants to retirement faster than any other 401(k) plan in the country," says Bryan Lorenz, Brightscope's vice president of data. "A participation rate of nearly 100 percent as well as the highest combination of company generosity and salary deferrals contributed to this outcome."
That must explain why the airline's pilots have that legendary in-flight sense of humor.

Not sure which part you are asking is true, but the swa pilots 401k plan run by our union was recently ranked the number one 401k plan in the country by brightscope.

Just curious. Best 401K???? I looked it up and yes SWA has more matching than Spirit, VA JetBlue. So perhaps that's the peer group they were looking at. However, they are quite a bit less than the Legacys DC and 401k percentages. Hawaiian had the highest at 19.4, Delta was 12 + 2% UAL was 9 + 7%. Even USAir was higher at 10%. Granted they may earn less per hour in some of the comparable positions, but the reality is SWA contibutes less towards retirement per dollar earned than most airlines.

I know they established themselves by being the airline that had stock options and profit sharing instead of retirement and only recently have had even that type of matching so you don't have longevity working for you yet.

I'm not bashing you guys, honest. I am really curious how you folks figure SWA's 401k is some kind of superior plan?

It was ranked as one of the best 401k's in the country...not just among airlines....Across the board, all companies.

It was rated that high because of the options available regarding investing, plus the low cost that SWAPA negotiated.

Very nice benefit, along with all the others.

Fair enough, I'm still trying to figure how it ranks as "best" when others contribute more towards retirement per dollar earned than SWA does.
For example, we have a brokerage account which has limitless options and plenty of no load funds to chose from. Every dollar put in goes towards the investment of your choice of which there is pretty much anything you want to invest in.
I think it's interesting that SWA (or the guy they got to write that article) seems to be claiming a superior retirement program when in fact it's not. Again, not bashing, just observing. Sounds a little self congratulatory to me. Perhaps some of that "warrior Spirit"?

If my company matched me 100% but the plan only had one crappy fund, it would still be a crappy 401K plan

Dan,

I think Brightscope is an independant company that does the ratings.

The actual funds that are available to SWAPA pilots are chosen by our SWAPA 401k guys. They interview each fund manager and negotiate the rates for our pilots (sometimes they make changes if they aren't satisfied). We have an option where you can move your retirement money to a Schwab account and have at it. Trade whatever you want basically.

They just recently added a low fee annunity. I haven't reviewed the selection, but we have plenty of choices across the board.

Fair enough, I'm still trying to figure how it ranks as "best" when others contribute more towards retirement per dollar earned than SWA does.
For example, we have a brokerage account which has limitless options and plenty of no load funds to chose from. Every dollar put in goes towards the investment of your choice of which there is pretty much anything you want to invest in.
I think it's interesting that SWA (or the guy they got to write that article) seems to be claiming a superior retirement program when in fact it's not. Again, not bashing, just observing. Sounds a little self congratulatory to me. Perhaps some of that "warrior Spirit"?

Dan,
You just don't get it. Their plan goes to Eleven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY&sns=em

Latest resources

Back