• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

retired airline pilots at NJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love retired airline guys. Lots of good stories. Lots of life lessons. Lots of been there done that, Union stories. They are some of the most militant guys we got. Those guys were calling all the company moves weeks and months before they pulled them.

Also, the company hiring the 60+ crowd always keeps the seniorty list churning. No matter what, you keep moving up. That is nice.

Welcome old guys, just check the ego at the door and get ready to throw some bags with me. If you are okay with that we will have a blast.:beer:

Don't worry 1 winter of shleping bags in the deicing fluid and the 777 guy won't last long. Most only make it a year or two and then decide its not worth it.

You're probably right about this one. These guys have no clue about this kind of work. It would be funny to see a guy going from hot meals in a 777 on the way to london to lifting 60lb bags of ski crap on an icy ramp in jackson hole. Personally, I don't think the ego could handle it either.

I love retired airline guys. Lots of good stories. Lots of life lessons. Lots of been there done that, Union stories. They are some of the most militant guys we got. Those guys were calling all the company moves weeks and months before they pulled them.

Also, the company hiring the 60+ crowd always keeps the seniorty list churning. No matter what, you keep moving up. That is nice.

Welcome old guys, just check the ego at the door and get ready to throw some bags with me. If you are okay with that we will have a blast.:beer:

are you sure you work at NJA? I have loaded some bags in my time, but most the time the PIC loads the bags in back. I think its that whole FOM thing or whatever they call it.

You're probably right about this one. These guys have no clue about this kind of work. It would be funny to see a guy going from hot meals in a 777 on the way to london to lifting 60lb bags of ski crap on an icy ramp in jackson hole. Personally, I don't think the ego could handle it either.

Some of them do just fine some do not. 98% of the retired guys I have flown with are excellent pilots. Some are hard of hearing and move a little slow but they can do the job. What is comes down to at NJA is attitude. Its not always easy being a CAPT for 20+ years only to pull gear for someone 30.

Airline guys

Most airline pilots did not start out flying B777's. They come from just about every background imaginable. I my case, I flew DC3's in the winter in the Midwest and Northeast. Ever push a 1500 lb D container up the back of a 3 in the middle of the winter in Chicago? I fly A330's now but I got here the hard way.

Yeah but apache do you want to go back to pushing D containers up a 3? I doubt it.

How does one 'prematurely' reach age 60?
I'm one of the older new hires at NJA ( a babe at 52), and after 3 regionals, FSI instructing and corporate gigs, this is the best flying job I've had. Of course the contract those before me hammered out has made it a great place to be..thanks.
The flying is always an adventure here. With 5 types and several thousand hours, I'm learning more about flying here than anywhere else I've been. And I appreciate the patience these 'younger' captains have had with getting me up to speed in the NJA system!
Attitude is everything. Being able to clean and stock the aircraft well helps also!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back